Any diesel enthusiast¯s out there - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Any diesel enthusiast‘s out there

Figured it would be a good thread to start and share all things diesel related whether old, new or custom. I currently have an 01 ram 2500 4x4 with a 6 speed in it. Truck has 220k but runs flawless. Never had a tuner in it and best of all NO RUST. I also have a 2011 ram 3500 single wheel 4x4 which is my daily driver. I just did the full deletes to it 6 months ago and it has been the best decision I ever made. Truck gets much better fuel economy when I want it to. What is everyone else running these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 03:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

2011 Chevy Diesel Duramax 2500, just over 100K. Only problems I have ever had with the truck is related to the DEF system.. What does a "full delete" entail? Cost? Who does it? Warranty? How much of an improvement in mpg? Any concerns or problems for future vehicle inspections? Etc., etc.. Thanks in advance Schunter.

50 HP TYM (Think Mahindra)diesel tractor, pre-DEF, thank goodness. 410 hours, never a hick-up....

Last edited by Chaos USMC; 03-13-2018 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Additional question
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 AM
Part of the Community

06 ram with the 5.9 Cummins and a 6 speed. 162 k here and only 1 engine issue. Water pump at 100k miles. Removed the cat and muffler right away, no other engine mods. The power of the Cummins engine is remarkable and at low rpm to. Fuel mileage is awesome, I average 23 mpg. My mpg is high cause I had to replace the front unions and bearing assembly years ago. That unitized bearing assembly is just garbage. I replaced with a full kit from dynatrac. Turned my front axle back into a Dana 60 type with lock outs and serviceable bearings.
Really like my diesel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos USMC View Post
2011 Chevy Diesel Duramax 2500, just over 100K. Only problems I have ever had with the truck is related to the DEF system.. What does a "full delete" entail? Cost? Who does it? Warranty? How much of an improvement in mpg? Any concerns or problems for future vehicle inspections? Etc., etc.. Thanks in advance Schunter.

50 HP TYM (Think Mahindra)diesel tractor, pre-DEF, thank goodness. 410 hours, never a hick-up....

Chaos,
His 11 has 6.7 Cummins in it. They have egr block off kits. Removes that garbage. But I believe you need a programmer also.
The def system is a pain and can get very expensive. I deal with it at work. It causes a lot of issues and nothing's cheap to fix.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Leafy is correct, it deletes the egr system, throttle valve, cat, and dpf. Truck needs to be tuned to run correctly. I have my tuned by anarchy diesel with 5 different tunes hooked to a switch to shift on the fly. Stock, tow, street, hot street, race are the 5 different tunes I got. I also got the transmission tuning from anarchy which increases trans line pressure to create greater clamping power on the clutches to prevent slipping of the transmission. Warranty will be out the window. Avg 19mpg with delete was 14 before. I also run an edge insight cts2 monitor to keep an eye on everything going on with the truck.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

2000 Ford F350, Crew, Long Bed, 7.3, Manual transmission, 147,000 miles, bought new in December of 1999. All stock. Wheel bearings, axle seals, ball joints, valve cover wiring harness repair, no engine or trans work. Been a great truck. A little rust/bubbling starting around the wheel wells. Just put fender flares on. Trying to decide between seeing how far/long it will go or getting a new/newer truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0807151144_resized.jpg (249.9 KB, 3 views)
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos USMC View Post

It is actually illegal to do ! Your warranty will be gone and you might not be able to get it inspected !
it runs about $1200 - $2000 to have it done ! I know because I have a 2012 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax and had it priced out ! In fact the guys that were going to do mine said they would buy the parts but for the install it would have to be cash and no paper trail because they are really cracking down on this !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Banned

I’ll play devils advocate here...a lot more than the warranty is out the window if you delete the egr, cat, dpf/def systems. Those are federally required components and it is illegal to remove them and use on public roads. Also vehicles with those parts deleted will fail the visual part of a pa state inspection even if not in an emissions county.

Do as you want with your own truck just know what you are doing and the consequences. The delete are very effective but are not “allowed”.

Good luck
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
2000 Ford F350, Crew, Long Bed, 7.3, Manual transmission, 147,000 miles, bought new in December of 1999. All stock. Wheel bearings, axle seals, ball joints, valve cover wiring harness repair, no engine or trans work. Been a great truck. A little rust/bubbling starting around the wheel wells. Just put fender flares on. Trying to decide between seeing how far/long it will go or getting a new/newer truck.
That's a good truck 35. That 7.3 was/is a solid engine. A few small items over time creep up, but it'll run forever.
I'm keeping my old truck. The emissions systems are a real pita. The part that drives me nuts is the programming in the ecm. A minor problem occurs in the after treatment system, but the warning light isn't turned on till the 3rd failed key cycle. Then when it does come on, its right to power derate cause it can't regenerate if needed. Most times it's an easy repair, if it was known. But, nope, gotta go get and clear the ecm, just to get it back to the shop.
Keep the old truck, the new stuff isn't even close to being as reliable.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscott1 View Post
I’ll play devils advocate here...a lot more than the warranty is out the window if you delete the egr, cat, dpf/def systems. Those are federally required components and it is illegal to remove them and use on public roads. Also vehicles with those parts deleted will fail the visual part of a pa state inspection even if not in an emissions county.

Do as you want with your own truck just know what you are doing and the consequences. The delete are very effective but are not “allowed”.

Good luck
Cscott is correct on the visual inspection part.
It's better to know before making any changes.

Govt seems to spoil all the fun, lol. Necessary evil for clean air.
But there's so much power locked in my little 5.9. It would be fun to play with it a little once in a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page