Toyota Frame recall - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Toyota Frame recall

Well it turns out I need my frame replace on my 2006 Tacoma. some good posts and bad posts out there.

Has anyone in this forum had their Tacoma framed replaced particularly at Rahal Toyota .

they explained to me that out of pocket expenses would most likely not. exceed $300 2 man job 4 day turn around.

scary for me because this truck has had zero mechanical issues It's never even threw a code. had to see factory assembled torn apart and reassembled. nit sure it'll be the same afterwards.. but I plan on keeping it for a while. ope it goers well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The repair will only be as good as the mechanics performing it. From what I've read most if not all owners have been happy with the outcome.
Love 2005 Tundra, my frame was ok , so only got the spray job. Like yours, mine has not given me a lick of trouble, have 108000 miles on it. The only repair, except for body damage from an accident, was a premature failure of a front shock.
Friends keep asking when I'm going to trade, I keep saying why should I it runs fine and is in decent shape. Besides it has just enough scrapes dings, and dents in it that I'm no longer afraid to take t where I want. If that dirt back road is passable, and there is a good fishing hole or good deer cover at the end of it, I'm driving down it.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This is actually the first I have heard about this. I have a 2009 Toyota Tundra that I absolutely love and drive as my hunting and recreation vehicle. I only over about 72K miles on it. I use it all hunting season and we take it some pretty deep places and it has done me good. It is paid off and I would love to keep it for many, many years. After googling it appears the recall stopped at 2009 Tundras?? However two years ago I had a local service shop spray the underside of the truck (frame and other areas) because I thought it looked like it was starting to rust significantly. In addition the area where you plug in your trailer lights and the hitch area is starting to rust out. Anybody know any more about this recall? Rahal is not far from where I work, but I but the truck slightly used from a Dodge dealer back in 2011, not a Toyota dealer.

Nature's Ultimate Predator Wasn't Created to Prowl The Grocery Store!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The frame recall wax for the 1999-2010 Tacoma. 1999-2005 if your frame failed they provided a buy back price then truck was destroyed. 2006-2010 they are replacing the frame if it failed. Any rust thru perforation found was considered failed. Mine was sprayed in 2015. Then last inspection they found 2 rusted thru spots. So now Iíll in the que for a new frame.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a Tacoma that was recalled for frame. I bought the truck used, drove it for I can't remember how many years and Toyota bought it back from me for 2K more than I paid for it. I know at the time they were replacing some frames. I don't know how they make the decision to buy or replace. I don't think you'll have any problems if they replace the frame.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A friend has a 2013 tundra with 25000 mi. It is garage kept and is now junk. the frame is rusted in 2 and the brake system needs replaced. He contacted toyota and was told it wasn't in the recall years so they aren't covering it. he is really upset since he has a 4 year old truck that can only be sold as parts
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

This has been going on for over a decade, yet they get no bad press! I hear people say yea but toyota really took care of me.....really, how about making a truck that the frame doesn't turn to dust! Some of these frames you can crush with your bare hands and that's a fact! They have been able to get away with it, I wonder why!

To the O.P. hope it all works out for you!

Last edited by BRN2RUN; 10-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

have a friend getting his frame replaced on his tacoma and its covered 100%. why would you be out 300.00 just wondering
i have a 2010 tundra with 109000 and no problems but maybe i will crawl under and check frame this weekend
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM
The Man

So this is an option for 2nd hand owners?

Just curious as recently bought a used 2007 Tacoma. I did a visual on the frame and although I did see rust it didn't appear to be abnormally bad. Would I be covered if there turns out to be rust damage so bad that it needs a new frame?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 05:27 PM

Recalls are covered until the vehicle is issued a salvage certificate or flood damaged.In a junk yard basically.It does not matter how many people have owned it.They can also be limited by time or mileage if not a safety recall.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page