The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Toyota Frame recall

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  NiceRack! 
#1 ·
Well it turns out I need my frame replace on my 2006 Tacoma. some good posts and bad posts out there.

Has anyone in this forum had their Tacoma framed replaced particularly at Rahal Toyota .

they explained to me that out of pocket expenses would most likely not. exceed $300 2 man job 4 day turn around.

scary for me because this truck has had zero mechanical issues It's never even threw a code. had to see factory assembled torn apart and reassembled. nit sure it'll be the same afterwards.. but I plan on keeping it for a while. ope it goers well.

#2 ·
The repair will only be as good as the mechanics performing it. From what I've read most if not all owners have been happy with the outcome.
Love 2005 Tundra, my frame was ok , so only got the spray job. Like yours, mine has not given me a lick of trouble, have 108000 miles on it. The only repair, except for body damage from an accident, was a premature failure of a front shock.
Friends keep asking when I'm going to trade, I keep saying why should I it runs fine and is in decent shape. Besides it has just enough scrapes dings, and dents in it that I'm no longer afraid to take t where I want. If that dirt back road is passable, and there is a good fishing hole or good deer cover at the end of it, I'm driving down it.

Reactions: setter/spaniel
#3 ·
This is actually the first I have heard about this. I have a 2009 Toyota Tundra that I absolutely love and drive as my hunting and recreation vehicle. I only over about 72K miles on it. I use it all hunting season and we take it some pretty deep places and it has done me good. It is paid off and I would love to keep it for many, many years. After googling it appears the recall stopped at 2009 Tundras?? However two years ago I had a local service shop spray the underside of the truck (frame and other areas) because I thought it looked like it was starting to rust significantly. In addition the area where you plug in your trailer lights and the hitch area is starting to rust out. Anybody know any more about this recall? Rahal is not far from where I work, but I but the truck slightly used from a Dodge dealer back in 2011, not a Toyota dealer.

#4 ·
The frame recall wax for the 1999-2010 Tacoma. 1999-2005 if your frame failed they provided a buy back price then truck was destroyed. 2006-2010 they are replacing the frame if it failed. Any rust thru perforation found was considered failed. Mine was sprayed in 2015. Then last inspection they found 2 rusted thru spots. So now I’ll in the que for a new frame.

#5 ·
I had a Tacoma that was recalled for frame. I bought the truck used, drove it for I can't remember how many years and Toyota bought it back from me for 2K more than I paid for it. I know at the time they were replacing some frames. I don't know how they make the decision to buy or replace. I don't think you'll have any problems if they replace the frame.

#6 ·
A friend has a 2013 tundra with 25000 mi. It is garage kept and is now junk. the frame is rusted in 2 and the brake system needs replaced. He contacted toyota and was told it wasn't in the recall years so they aren't covering it. he is really upset since he has a 4 year old truck that can only be sold as parts

#7 · (Edited)
This has been going on for over a decade, yet they get no bad press! I hear people say yea but toyota really took care of me.....really, how about making a truck that the frame doesn't turn to dust! Some of these frames you can crush with your bare hands and that's a fact! They have been able to get away with it, I wonder why!

To the O.P. hope it all works out for you!

#9 ·
So this is an option for 2nd hand owners?

Just curious as recently bought a used 2007 Tacoma. I did a visual on the frame and although I did see rust it didn't appear to be abnormally bad. Would I be covered if there turns out to be rust damage so bad that it needs a new frame?

#12 ·
BIL had an otherwise mint Tacoma ext. cab 4x4 5 spd. that was part of the "original" frame rust out recall a few years ago.

Forget the year, maybe 2001? Heartbroken, bought it used and really loved it.

IIRC, they gave him $16K for the old truck, on a swap for a new 2WD, 4 cyl. Tacoma. He'd have sooner kept the old one, but they weren't doing the frame replacement at the time.

I wanted a new 2002 Tacoma 4x4 back in the day, couldn't make a deal with either of the Toyota dealers in our area at the time. Bought a new S10 ZR2 5 spd. instead. $5K less than the Tacoma at the time, with the rebate. Great little truck for the four and a half years I had it.

#16 ·

Likely whenever. I would suggest waiting until next year when this settlement ends. It’ll give more time for any rust issues to develop. I think the actual end date is May 26 but would be best to call a dealership to confirm.

They called Friday, said my frame is in. Not good timing. Gonna try to make it for 3rd week of November unless they can give me a tacoma with a cap or 4Runner.

#17 ·
Just to clarify some things.... The original frame recall was for 1995-2004 1st Gen Tacomas. 2001? -2004 the frames were replaced. Prior to model year 2001, it was a buyback based on 150% of KBB in excellent condition, regardless of actual condition. I received a check for close to $7,000 for '97 4WD Tacoma, with a 180,000 miles, a rusted frame, and starting to show some paint wear.

When the 2nd Gens came out, 2005-2015, it was discovered that there were still issues with the frame. This recall is being handled via frame replacement.

Say what you will, but Toyota DOES stand behind their products. I have quite a few friends that have had drive train issues (same issues for past 10-15 years) with Chevy's and Dodges, these are major mechanical issues, that you're pretty much on your own.

Me, I took my $7K and used it on a 2011 4WD Tacoma SR5. Going strong.....

#19 ·
I work at a Toyota dealership and we have been able to get them done in about 3 days. The extra money they are quoting is most likely if you want to replace shocks and struts while you have them off. You should not have any problems afterwards like someone else mentioned we have been doing them for 10 years lol.

#20 ·
I'll add to rtk's post, I had an engine blow up on a Toyota T100, before Tundras. Engine replaced, not a penny came out of my pocket.

Frame replaced on a 12yr old Tundra with 170K miles on it, not a penny came out of my pocket.

And really, those are the only 2 repair issues I have had. 50 years old and have only owned 5 vehicles. On my 5th now and 4 out of 5 have been Toyotas. My 2012 Tundra has 85K on it now and runs great

#22 ·
I have a 2005 Tacoma that had the frame replaced in the spring of 2016. It was deemed unsafe to drive so they gave me a rental for 4 1/2 months. They didn't have any Toyota trucks available so they hooked me up with a new F150 crew cab (it was nice). The only thing I had replaced, at my own choosing, were the brake lines and shocks/struts. No issues at all prior or after the replacement.

#31 ·
Follow Up:

Just got back my 2006 Tacoma for frame replacement from Rahal's in Mechanicsburg. I had concerns but I have to say I'm very pleased.. It's as tight as the first day I drove it off the parking lot. they did a FANTASTIC JOB. no issue what (as of yet ) what so ever. gotta say it's nice seeing that shinny new frame underneath,

Thank for all the questions you guys in here answered for me.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.