Didn't pass inspection... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Didn't pass inspection...

My 2004, Ford Ranger has some issues. This is my trapping buggy and takes alot of beating.
-rear Spring Shackle bracket rusted out (one side)
-Muffler has hole
-rear gas tank strap hanging (bolt side ok, but the bracket on the 'T' end side isn't there, rusted away)
-rust hole in rear frame (passenger side)

I took the bed off for easy access. Nephew helped with that and removing the 6 bolts. Broke two front bolts off. So I got 6 new bolts, washers and clips.

I will do Muffler on Wednesday. Plus will weld steel plate over hole and weld gas tank strap to frame.

I replace both sides, bracket and rear spring shackles.
This was the first time I did shackle work. The second side sure went faster then the first side...lol.

Rusting out for sure...
IMG_0001.JPG

Finished shackle & bracket...well I gotta patch that hole in frame.
IMG_0005.JPG

Driver side, not bad, but I replaced this side too.
IMG_0003.JPG

Last edited by Hern; 04-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 PM

Truck bodies today hold up better to rust than they did 30-40 years ago. When I was truck shopping in 1977, I saw a NEW F-150 that was showing rust...on the dealer's lot. A lot more galvanized sheet metal today. Exhaust systems are built much better today also. The issue I see today rust wise is with the truck frames. And brake lines. Penndot uses some nasty stuff to treat the roads in the winter. My buddy has a repair shop; he's had 2 year old vehicles come in with rusted out brake lines.

I get my truck sprayed each fall with wool oil. The product trade name is Fluid Film. Costs $65 to do my 2500. They spray in door panels, rockers,...anywhere there's access plugs. Takes about and hour, just have to make sure truck is clean and dry. I'm mostly concerned about the frame and undercarriage parts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 09:16 PM

yeah the rust is a real pain and the salt and stuff is nasty. A few years ago I got in the habit of crawling under my vehicles each spring with the garden hose and really washing everything out good by hand. You'd be amazed how much junk gets caught up in the little nooks and crannies.
surveyor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Funny thing is, I have 2 friends that had rust hole in exact spot on the rear frame, passenger side, Ford Ranger. Same darn spot. They just welded a plate inside the frame. Same as I'm going to do.
'99, there was alot of dirt and crud. I know what you are saying. Even found a corn stalk. I do trap, and run off road and in harvested fields.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM

Back in the 60's and early 70's , General Motors A-Frame series autos ( Chevelle,GTO, Olds 442, etc ) had nearly the same frames, which all had a hump in the rear where the back axles passed through. They were notorious for rusting through, particularly on the driver's side, that got more salt as it was nearer the center of the road. Frame welders were a dime a dozen back in the day. You seldom see frame shops today, but a lot of cars are unibody design without frames.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Part of the Community

There are a few factors in volved wheather it's the grade if sheet metal or what the vehicle is exposed to all we can do is try to give care and preserve what is important to us.

look around and tell me what you see.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Sage

Ford pickups from the early to late 70s, were usually rust buckets after a few years, especially farther north where more road salt was common in winters. Even worse over the border in NY.

Several of my Potter/Tioga kin had them back in that time frame. One of the worst was a '72 F250 an uncle had on the farm, that he'd bought new.

That thing rusted so bad, a headlight housing fell out and down behind the grill one night. That was after a mounting bracket in the engine compartment had rusted off, numerous holes were in the rockers and bed areas. He traded that on a new '77 F150 4x4. Within four or five years, the bed looked like swiss cheese. He had put a flat bed on it by the mid 80s.

My cousin bought a new '78 F250 a year after his dad bought the '77, but at the time my cousin's farm was over in Steuben Co. NY. His truck rusted far worse over the next several years, than his dad's truck did.

Same time frame, I had '76 and '80 Chevy pickups. Neither ever rusted as bad as those Fords did.

'76 had a rocker and one cab corner starting to go maybe at 7 years old, some rust on the bed around wheel openings. The '80 had very little in the way of rust issues at 8 years, never had any body holes until it was over 10 years old (knew the guy that owned it at that point).

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM

That shackle is a common problem on those trucks.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Danesdad, I know that now...lol. Two friends had same rusted out shackles. Same rusted out small hole in rear frame (passenger side).
In any event, I replaced shackles & bracket, replaced muffler and welded steel plate over rust hole in frame.
Pickup passed inspection.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:50 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
That shackle is a common problem on those trucks.
Yep.Now Toyota has become the rust out junk frame king.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page