Tacoma or Nissan Frontier - Page 7 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a '94 Tacoma (before they were actually called a Tacoma). I drove it for 10 years and sold it with 151,000 miles. The engine in the that truck would probably run forever. Underbody rust issues (brake lines, fuel lines and emergency brake cables and hardware twice, and radiator) did me in. I sold it to a local guy and saw him driving the truck for at least a couple more years. In 2004, I bought a 2002 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4 used with 20,500 miles on it and drove it until 2011 and traded it with 167,000 miles on it. The Frontier was still running strong, but I started having a lot of stupid body hardware issues (tailgate latch, windows slipping out of the tracks and sliding down into the doors, door lathes, etc.) and finally had enough. I liked both trucks reasonably well and wouldn't be afraid to buy either. The Frontier is not good on gas. That was a major disappointment for a small truck. I wanted a full size truck and traded the Frontier on a used 2006 4x4 Crew Cab Tundra with about 29,000 miles on it. I liked the Tundra a lot and it's gas mileage was nearly equal to the smaller Frontier. In December of 2015 the Tundra had 147,000 miles on it and approaching 10 years old, and I don't like to keep my vehicles much past their 10th birthday, so I was truck shopping again, I looked at the newly redesigned 2016 Tacoma, the Frontier (not much new there) and the Tundra (a major disappointment.) I decided I couldn't go back to a small truck again. On a whim I looked at the 2015 Ford F150. I could get a crew cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed with a 3.5L V-6 Ecoboost engine, that got better gas mileage and performed better than either of the small trucks. I wouldn't even look at the Titan. I drive between 25,000 to 30,000 miles a year and mileage ratings of 12 city 17 highway was a non-starter. I bought the Ford and am liking it so far. I do not regret not buying either the Tacoma or Frontier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 03:54 AM
The Man

Just bought a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road with 10k on it. I had a full size Blazer I bought new in 1994. I wanted to down size. This new truck will pull my boat just fine. Besides, the four wheel options on this Tacoma is crazy. 5 different crawl modes, and 5 different 4x4 modes. The Blazer was 4H and 4L, that's it.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #63 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This was a few years back but when I bought my truck I drove everything under the sun from all brands and liked the Tacoma the best. But Toyota refused to deal on the Tacoma...their point was why deal if its going to sell in a few days anyway. I dont recall specifically but per the dealer, a Tacoma sat on the lot far less than half the amount of time a Tundra did so they wouldnt budge much on the price. This wasnt unique to a specific dealer as another told me the same and also didnt deal more than a few hundred bucks (might have been Toyota's spin they told dealers to tell people) on top of the much lower incentives the Tacoma had offered. So I was able to drive off the lot in a Tundra for a couple grand more in price but more towing/hauling/cabin capacity. At the time I didnt have a family but 12 years later Im happy I bought the Tundra over the Tacoma.

Today's prices, I dont know how any common folk can afford a truck without leasing, financing greater than 5 years, or altering their lifestyle greatly. With that said, Id look at Toyota first if I were ever to buy a new truck due to reliability, comfort, and looks.
Danesdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 67 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

For those of you with 2005-2010 tacomas and didnt get their frame inspected first time around, they just opened it up again July 17. Free new frame if it's in certain condition. You have until May 2018 to do so. A few tundra and sequoia as well.

I got 235,000 on mine. A new frame would be nice. I got a hole larger than 10 mm which is one of the requirements to fail inspection. Will see Thursday.

Only certain trucks are covered. Google tacoma settlement for more info.

It's a good spot. Just not today.
post #65 of 67 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Bought a Nissan Frontier 4XPro great truck I have owned 4 Frontiers and have never had a one of them in the shop for anything other than normal maintenance .
Danesdad likes this.

Black Labs
Shoot Straight--Hunt Safe
Life Member NRA
Life Member N.A.H.Club
post #66 of 67 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:44 PM

Have. 2017 Toyota trd off road package on a full tank of gas I get 390 mph on highway
post #67 of 67 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

250000 now on my 04 Tacoma
Six-Gun likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page