Tacoma or Nissan Frontier - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:03 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowflint View Post
I drive a 2014 Frontier love the truck hate the gas mileage.
Pretty much how it's big brother is, too. Love the Titan, and it loves the gas station, lol.

I signed up for the Speedway station rewards card, which usually gets me decent discounts on gas, so that helps. That and I do about 20-25 miles a day for work, round trip. When I was driving 50+ one way, I'd never have wanted the Titan for that kind of driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM

I have a Tacoma with 117K and I have nothing to complain about. Well except that as my family grows the 4 door tacoma seems to get smaller and smaller. I think a full size is on the horizon when this one gives up the ghost. When I looked at my tacoma I also looked at the frontier and just liked the tacoma better. I had a good dealer and got a pretty good deal on mine when I bought it used two years old with 13K on it. I would buy another toyota but my local dealer has been pretty good.
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:18 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

You're hitting what I did with my Tacoma. It was fine for a family of 4. With three kids, it was like packing sardines to get the kids in the back, lol.

What also helped me like the Titan was 0% for 72 months along with a buddy who's in management for Nissan and got me about $6500 off the price, lol.
nomad_archer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
You're hitting what I did with my Tacoma. It was fine for a family of 4. With three kids, it was like packing sardines to get the kids in the back, lol.

What also helped me like the Titan was 0% for 72 months along with a buddy who's in management for Nissan and got me about $6500 off the price, lol.
That would certainly make the decision easier. I have a friend that has a Titan and it is a sharp looking truck.
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

The deal was good, but truly I wouldn't have bought it without liking the truck as well.

I went to the local Toyota dealer to look at a new Tundra and after waiting a half hour, no one bothered to help me out, so I left. I looked at a 2 yr old Tundra at another lot and didn't like it as much as the Titan, but it was still pretty nice inside.

Our next vehicle is going to be to replace the wife's 2008 Sienna minivan with likely a 2017 Sienna, or 2018, if we go another year. Nothing wrong with it (knock on wood), but we're retiring some debt and may as well get the payment worked into the budget when some funds free up rather than waiting till it dies and having to figure it out then.
nomad_archer likes this.
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:37 AM

I have a Honda with 303,000. It now uses a little oil but the thing still runs like the day i bought it!
The ridgeline is perfect for me. I can pack more hunting stuff in that then we can get in my brother s 4 door f150. I haul wood in it and dead deer. It goes everywhere I take it without issue. It is much tougher then people get credit for. I will get another.
htephil likes this.
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Our company has been using mostly Fords and Dodges for quite a few years. They still buy other brands to compare against each other. When they are traded in after 3 years the repair records are compared against the fleet average in dollars.. GM trucks have had the highest repair rate of all. The Fords have the best followed by the Dodges. At one time the Toyotas not long ago were almost as bad as the GMs.
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 AM

I had a 2012 Frontier that I traded it in for a 2016 Dodge Ram and there is no comparison. The turning radius on the frontier was horrible.

I have better turning radius, better ride, better fuel economy, better visibility in the Ram. I got 21 mpg on the highway and the best I ever did on the frontier was 18-19.

Life Member NRA
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Sage

Son bought a new Frontier last spring, no issues so far. Extended cab, 2WD, four banger five speed. Has more power than I expected it would, gets decent fuel mileage. Joked when I drove it, that I hadn't driven anything with roll-up windows in years. Pretty bare bones, but has cruise, A/C and a decent sound system.

He needed a truck, this was the absolute best buy available at the time and it suits his work needs well.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM

I had a 90 Toyota pick up, when they made only one size, and it had no name. It was a great truck, loved it.

Traded it in on on a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. No major problems, but the quality was not there, it was an OK truck.

Traded that in on an '08 Tundra. Put 180,000 on it. Great truck, still ran great. Still not convinced I did the right thing by trading it in on an '17 Tundra this past November. I really like it. I am getting 17 and expect to get 19 when the weather warms up, as I did with my '08.

I really like the Tundra. I call it my redneck Cadillac.

My advice would be to get a base Tundra Double Cab. The prices are close as is the gas mileage. The full size truck is a must for me at this point.

As far as the other brands, I would not consider any of them personally due to my will earned bias of having had two Toyota trucks, zero problems after a combined 320,000 miles which included a fair amount of towing about 4000 pounds of boat from PA to NY.
nomad_archer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page