If you can't dodge it, ram it... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

If you can't dodge it, ram it...

Yesterday I was forced to do that with my truck. I was heading to work going one direction on Baltimore rd and a girl in a white VW was stopped waiting to turn left in the opposite lane. Well she waited until I was about 20 feet away to pull in front of me and it was basically a head on collision. No one was seriously injured thank goodness. In her back seat was an infant who I dont think really even knew what happened. I hit them doing about 40MPH and sent them spinning into someone elses yard pointed the opposite direction.

So I'm going to assume that my truck is probably totalled. It was an 04 Dodge Ram 1500. Nothing special. 4.7L V8, power nothing, stickshift but it was my hunting/beat around pickup truck. I owned it for 12 years, I bought it in 2005 with 4,000 miles on it. I owned it the entire time I was in the Army, I drove across country in it, alot of memories, alot of deer have been in the back of that truck. I thought I was going to own it until I died haha. It only had 79k miles on it. It was in great shape, I never did anything to it besides new tires at 50k miles. Sad part its I'm sure I'm going to not get anything for it from the insurance company.

No one seems to understand what its like to have a truck for so long. So I figured I would share my sorrows here where people probably understand the connection to a truck haha.

My daily driver is a 2015 4Runner so I'm not out of a vehicle but now I don't have a truck. I've never not owned a truck, its a wierd feeling. How do people go to lowes and buy lumber? How do you do things without a truck? I'm stumped. I'm going to buy another truck for sure but I'm sure for the price I won't find one as well maintained and clean as mine was.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: If you can't dodge it, ram it...

Wow that stinks. Glad all were OK though. I'd be lost without my truck. I've found good buys on AutoTrader. I hope you find a decent and reliable replacement.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 PM
The Man

You would be surprised what you can do w/out a truck.Just look at all the vintage photos of deer and lumber and stuff thrown over the roof and hoods of cars back in the day.Heck,my uncle restored rental houses back in the 70,s and all he had was a Ford Pinto and it was a Runabout not the wagon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Landscape trailer's are real handy when you don't have a truck. 4Runner should pull it

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nothing will replace a truck you've taken care of like that, low miles, etc. Blue book says they are basically not worth much, but my 03 Chevy, with 260,000 is irreplaceable in my mind. Nice to have a truck to use for what ever you need. Looked good, until then....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

So I got the call today from the assessor, the truck was totalled, not a surprise though. I'm going to get $7900 for it, which was a surprise. I figured I'd get $5k or so. Now the hunt is on for a new beat around/hunting truck.

Yeah I could buy a trailer, but having a third vehicle is pretty convenient. And I baby my 4Runner too much to throw lumber and stuff on the top of it haha.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:44 PM

Thank God everyone was alright. I had the same thing happen to me years ago when a T boned a woman in my suburban making a left turn in her brand new Monte Carlo right in front of me.

I have been in 9 Auto accidents in the 40 plus years I have been driving and all of them were females that struck my vehicle. The other one was a drunk driver.

I Have nothing bad to say about female drivers, but I am only saying

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page