Duramax Diesel Colorado/Canyon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232
Duramax Diesel Colorado/Canyon

Just curious if anyone here has one or has test driven one? Looking for input. I'm gonna be in the market for a new truck soon and am trying to decide between one of these or a 1500 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Duramax Diesel Colorado/Canyon

Im not a gm guy here at all but buy the Silverado if your set on a gm product. it's a proven vehicle and the other is a first year production vehicle which usually results in some growing pains unless you like being a guniea pig. I know this from experience !! Good luck which ever you decide

Remington 700
mission mxb320
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM
dce
Sage

I own a duramax but but would never consider owning one unless I tow heavy loads on a regular basis.I just don't see the logic in paying thousands more for a diesel in a compact truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to greenstang232

I drive a lot, about 25k a year, which is why I'm considering the diesel. They are about 3500 more then a similar gasser. I really don't need a full size truck like I have now, a midsize with a 6' bed would perfectly suit my lifestyle. The increased fuel economy should pay for itself if I keep the truck as long as I plan to. I realize a diesel will have more maintenance costs, but they shouldn't be as much as a full size diesel from my research. Not to mention, spending 3500 extra on a diesel will surely be retained down the road when time comes to sell because they hold their value much more.

I also wouldn't consider a new Colorado a 'compact' truck, they are not much, if any, smaller then a full size from 20 years ago. Have a payload of 1500 lb and can tow ~8k lbs.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I did some extensive test on the gas Colorado and came real close to pulling the trigger on one, I just couldn't get the price I wanted!

I know around here they can't keep the Diesel on lot long enough for a test drive one! I agree about the resale and it did win Truck Of The Year!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 12:40 PM
dce
Sage

My daily driver is a duramax and I can't wait until I no longer have to drive a diesel.They're a pain in extreme cold weather.It costs me over 120 bucks to change the oil and fuel filter and it's a pain to get fuel.Most stations only have one diesel pump if that and it never fails that some pinhead is parked on both sides getting gas when 5 other pumps are open.Unless you get a really good deal,I don't see the fuel saving ever making up for the increased cost of fuel and the cost of the truck.Just my take after driving one for the past 10 years.If you pull heavy loads on a regular basis,it's the only way to go.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Sage

So...the rumors that you just liked the noise and stench, are untrue then?

One of my best friends and huntin' buds, was a diesel mechanic most of his life, eventually worked his way into management and ran a local Detroit Diesel shop.

Another friend asked him one day, why he didn't drive a diesel pickup. He answered that few really need one, including him. His wife pulled their horse trailer with his 4x4 2500 Silverado w/6.0L gasser just fine.

He's been gone for 15 years now and she's still using that same truck to drag nags around.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:03 PM
The Man

I've been driving Duramaxes for several yrs. No stench or smoke and my 2015 is much quieter than the '08. Aside from obvious towing strengths it is unmatched when traversing icy hills in low range-something I frequently encounter during winter travel where I live.

I'll never go back to a gasser..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 06:23 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
So...the rumors that you just liked the noise and stench, are untrue then?

One of my best friends and huntin' buds, was a diesel mechanic most of his life, eventually worked his way into management and ran a local Detroit Diesel shop.

Another friend asked him one day, why he didn't drive a diesel pickup. He answered that few really need one, including him. His wife pulled their horse trailer with his 4x4 2500 Silverado w/6.0L gasser just fine.

He's been gone for 15 years now and she's still using that same truck to drag nags around.
It depends on the horse trailer.Mine is a gooseneck that weighs about 11k lbs loaded.A 6L will do it but the diesel does it much better.You also notice a big difference between a diesel and gas engine when towing when it comes to fuel economy.My days of needing a big horse trailer are coming to an end here.My daughter just turned 18 so her weekend rodeo trips will be on her in the near future.I haven't decided it I'll get a new 3/4 ton or just a half ton when that happens.In any event,it won't be a diesel.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
My daughter just turned 18 so her weekend rodeo trips will be on her in the near future.
You're gonna let us know how that works out, right?

Most of my buds w/teenage daughters, or daughters in general, seem to have dads tightly wrapped around their little fingers well into adulthood.

Several of the northern tier portion of the clan have owned diesels for years. Mostly farmers or own businesses that require HD pickups.

Good mix of Fords and GMs, coupla Rams thrown in now. Makes for lively discussions come family reunion time in Potter.

Two have ditched diesel pickups in the past few years, for new 3/4 ton gasser 4x4s. One has an excavating business, the other does commercial landscaping and snow plowing. Both own multiple trucks.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page