2011 GMC Sierra coolant question ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

2011 GMC Sierra coolant question ?

I'm going to have my coolant flushed & replaced today . I'm just wondering if I should pick up a specific coolant ? AutoZone is telling me ALL coolants are compatible these days . That goes against everything I've always been told over the years . Google says Dex-Cool ? Is there something even better or should I stay with factory coolant ? Thanks for any recommendations .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 02:30 PM

Re: 2011 GMC Sierra coolant question ?

If your engine is still under warranty, use the GM recommended one.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 PM
The Man

I don,t know about now but the DEX COOL that GM used in the 90,s was garbage.It caused tons of problems.I couldn,t wait to get it out of my 98 Chevy Truck and my 94 Z-28 that I bought new.I used Prestone that was GM compatible.Now that was then and hopefully it is not the same toxic sludge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:12 PM
The Man

Come to think of it the Z-28 might not have had it.I can,t remember if it maybe came out around 95 or so.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Dex-Cool ruined the intake gaskets on many GM vehicles. At 50,000 miles I had to replace the gaskets on my 99 Tahoe. The stuff was so corrosive there wasn't much of the thermostat left either. I know a mechanic who replaced the gaskets on over 100 vehicles.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys . I went with the Prestone that was supposed to be compatible . Thankfully I did . If I would have used Dex-Cool , they could'nt have flushed the system because Dex-Cool had clogged their flushing machine ....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Sage

We've had two GMs that DexCrud ate the intake gaskets in. One cost us $800 for the engine (crank case) flush/gasket replacement.

The intake gasket on the S 10 ZR2 I had at the time, barely made it under the wire for warranty coverage.

Every GM mechanic I know personally, advises against DexCrud. Some years ago one sent me the entire list of service bulletins showing how many V6 intake gaskets they'd "upgraded" to, trying to solve the problem.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:45 AM
The Man

That title you gave that sludge was perfect. I just wish I came up with it myself.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 01:46 AM
The Man

Oh I too already called it as such.I am one up on ya.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 12:17 PM
Sage

Only reason I haven't switched-out their stuff in the past several trucks, is because I get a new one every four years.

If I decide to keep the 2014 Silverado I have now, may go with someone else's "permanent" anti-freeze?

This truck has the 5 year/100K power train warranty and they've dropped that with the 2016s. So I may hang onto it as long as that warranty is still good?

The extended factory warranty on all the stuff that croaks, like A/C, power windows, etc is good until 77K miles and 5 years. Used that once on the 2010, when the A/C compressor developed a slow leak. No deductible on that warranty, like there was on the 2006 Sierra.

Had to use that once also, for the fan switch and a noisy blower. $100 deductible on about $400 worth of repairs beyond the original 3 year coverage. Only other warranty work done was a new power steering box that leaked at about 29K miles, no charge.

Other than a new intake gasket and tailgate straps on the '02 S 10, that's it for warranty-covered stuff for the past four trucks and 13 years. Also got a new tire on the S 10: BFG T/A KO that had a heavy spot and couldn't be balanced.

So yeah, no major beef here with GM trucks and the '14 does 20 MPG or better on combined trip mileage. And it's a rocket on the road.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page