2016 Truck offerings... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

2016 Truck offerings...

Looking to buy by the fall and the choices are broad.

F-150 was on the short list, (and still is), the Raptor will be out by late summer.
The new 2016 Nissan Titan XD came out of no where to be a contender on my list.
I was pretty impressed by what they have to offer...
Tundra get's the nod for confidence in their durability, but they just seem to be over do for a re-vamp. The Tundra is nice, but just seems to be lagging behind in some features.

Ruled out the midsize, New Colorado was unimpressive along with the new Tacoma. So for me I'll be looking at Full size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 2016 Truck offerings...

Yeah, I just went through this myself. I looked at the 2015 and 2016 Tundra's, the 2016 Tacoma and the 2015 Ford F-150. The Nissan Titan was not on my list, not with 12 mpg city and 17 mpg highway, which I can assure you is optimistic.

I couldn't bring myself to buy the Tacoma. Nice truck, but after owning a 2006 Crew Cab Tundra I just couldn't go back to a smaller truck.

When I was looking late last year, Toyota had no inventory and wouldn't deal on my trade. And frankly, you're right, nothing really new with the Tundra's since the last revamp in 2007, excepting a body style change in 2014. I was still giving a Tundra a shot, but after visiting three local Toyota dealerships and seeing where I was price wise and trade-in value wise, I got downright disgusted with Toyota.

I ended up buying a 2015 F-150 XLT SuperCrew with the 157 inch wheelbase (6 1/2' bed.) It's got the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, which much to my surprise has plenty of power for a full size truck.

I'm happy so far, but this is the first Ford I've owned in a long time, so we'll see how it does with reliability.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The 2016 Titan XD is a new 5.0 L Cummins Diesel...
(which at this point is a negative for me) I sold my boat, and no longer tow other
than a utility trailer which I used because I have an SUV, so with a pick-up, may not even use that as much. I think the Nissan is the "plushest" truck and a good value compared to a similarly equipped F-150 (3.5 Turbo vs diesel)... Just no track record for the Nissan. Also not sure a diesel is a good choice if the wife drives it for frequent short runs, which she inevitably will... I have NO experience with diesels and from what I've been able to read, I doesn't seem that frequent short drives are good for them.

I like the Ford, I'm just nervous about the durability of a 3.5L Turbo if it ever gets used to tow anything substantial.

Since I tend to keep vehicles for longer than most, I most likely will have something to tow again before I replace it. Since my time frame will see the release of the new Raptor, I wan't to see if that is an option for me. I would assume it should be as capable of towing as any other F-150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

FYI, current (2014) raptor payload and towing is a lot lower than the regular F150's.

Please help us find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis: Kaelyn's Kure
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:03 PM

If you are considering the Raptor, have you checked out a TRD Pro Tundra? Not quite as full blown offroad capable as the Raptor, but still has an awesome suspension setup coupled with the ability for every day road use. Comparing anything to Raptor is difficult IMO in terms of what it was made for.

The guys with the Pro's say they squat more while towing due to the softer suspension, but guys seem to be correcting that with airbags when needed.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Taking delivery of a 2016 F150 super cab 8' bed,3.5 ecoboost 4x4 in March
Was trying to find the same in a 2015 leftover but 8' beds are rarer than hens teeth in F150s. Dime a dozen in F250. I need the room not the weight or tow capacity. Very frustrating with the bait and switch to get me on the lot saying they had 8' beds until I started looking at the online window sticker wheel base. Live and learn. My last truck was a 2001 F150 and It served me well. Should have traded it in a few years ago but still got $2500 for it. Could have sold for $4-4500 but didn't want to deal with all the tirekickers. Needed the trade in to finance a cap. Settled on a Leer with the windoors on the sides.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 01:14 PM
clc
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Mack
If you are considering the Raptor, have you checked out a TRD Pro Tundra? Not quite as full blown offroad capable as the Raptor, but still has an awesome suspension setup coupled with the ability for every day road use. Comparing anything to Raptor is difficult IMO in terms of what it was made for.

The guys with the Pro's say they squat more while towing due to the softer suspension, but guys seem to be correcting that with airbags when needed.
Unless you really want the warranty buy the TRD offroad and install the suspension of your choice. That way you will have the rear locker and you can get icon/fox/king of your choice and still pay less than the Baja. If you join a tacoma specific forum it's easy to find knowledgeable guys for info and with beer and pizza they will even help you install it. It's been awhile but I've seen breakdowns of what all you pay on the baja and you can come out ahead with a better truck if you do the work yourself.

Edit. I see now you are actually talking about the tundra but I would think what I said still applies. Like you said tye Raptor is hard to compare but I think the tacoma Baja is the only thing that comes remotely close in the toyota lineup.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have been told by others that I am hard on things especially vehicles. I don't try but I do use them as trucks not a status symbol or a grocery getter. My trucks get used off road for work and hunting. In the past I have owned or used(company trucks) them all. Since the advent of the independent front suspension I have bent them all. The last 1/2 ton I had that held up was a 1998 Dodge that had the solid front axle. Now days I buy or am supplied with 3/4 or 1 tons just to get a truck to last. Previously I only needed 1/2 tons. The suspensions on things like Raptors and such I see as being more of a sand racer not a woods truck(just my take) and are useless if they can't be loaded down with firewood. If I need to replace the suspension on a new truck to get a useful vehicle I will buy another make that offers what I want.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 04:06 AM
clc
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by superd
I have been told by others that I am hard on things especially vehicles. I don't try but I do use them as trucks not a status symbol or a grocery getter. My trucks get used off road for work and hunting. In the past I have owned or used(company trucks) them all. Since the advent of the independent front suspension I have bent them all. The last 1/2 ton I had that held up was a 1998 Dodge that had the solid front axle. Now days I buy or am supplied with 3/4 or 1 tons just to get a truck to last. Previously I only needed 1/2 tons. The suspensions on things like Raptors and such I see as being more of a sand racer not a woods truck(just my take) and are useless if they can't be loaded down with firewood. If I need to replace the suspension on a new truck to get a useful vehicle I will buy another make that offers what I want.
I understand your point but both surve different purposes. A properly tuned mid travel setup will let you float across washboard type terrain but won't do as well with bulky rocks. A solid axle will do better with heavier loads, bigger tires and bulky rocks etc. No right answer it's all in what the truck will be used for. Personally, a big 1 ton truck would be absolutely pointless and actually detrimental where a small lightweight 4 wheeldrive pickup surves me perfectly. Not everyone needs to haul heavy loads.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:13 AM
The Man

I have a 2014 Raptor, and I love the truck.
I will be looking at the 2017s when they come out. The Ecoboost at 425hp, +/- and a 10 speed auto tranny should give plenty of power and decent fuel mileage.
The 6.2 in my current one runs good, with 411 factory hp, but mileage is only around 13mpg running around...........18 is best it ever did on a trip.

This Raptor is nicest truck I have owned, and I have had some nice trucks.

Your never to old to learn something stupid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page