chevy 4.3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

chevy 4.3

anybody have a Silverado with this motor? how do you like it? I know the 5.3 is a good motor but wanted everybodys thoughts on this motor. thinking about another truck with this motor being a possibility.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 AM
Part of the Community

Re: chevy 4.3

My uncle has a 93 extended cab 4x4 that has no power on hills.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:48 AM

Mine was a sludge bucket. Had one in a S-10 Blazer I purchased new. Religiously changed oil and filter with Quaker State oil every 3,000 miles. Did a lot of highway driving. Never had a problem....that I knew of.
One day it started to knock and jump and stopped running.
Had it towed to a shop, they took the heads off thinking it had a bad cam, which they were noted for, and they had to use a putty knife to scrape all the sludge out of the top end.
When I got the vehicle back it went right to the dealers and traded it in and never owned another GM product since. Odometer reading was 56,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Regular Visitor

I had a 4.3 in my 2002 Silverado that I bought new. Underpowered to say the least. I traded it in 2004 for a 5.3 and don't regret it at all.

The 4.3 is a nice engine, in Blazers & S10's, but barely has enough power to pull a full size 4x4 and a load.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Sage

Ditto! We've had three new S body GM 4x4 pickups (starting in '91) with the 4.3L and one S Blazer. Never any issues with any of them, but the last one was my '02 ZR2 ext. cab pickup.

Great little truck, unless you wanted to haul anything behind it. Mine was a 5 speed and with a 5x8 trailer loaded with about 3/4 cord of firewood, hills killed that thing.

Coming up over Bloss Mtn. on the new Rt. 15, had it in third gear to stay around 55 MPH. Got passed by semis.

Went back to full sized 4x4 trucks and the 5.3L V8 in '06. Plenty of power, not much difference in fuel economy over the S trucks w/4.3L engines.

My current '14 Silverado 4x4 double cab will get 20MPG or better highway, which is about what the best ever was, with any of the S trucks.

Knew a guy that bought a new Silverado w/4.3L back in the early 90s. Hated that thing so much (lack of power), swapped it within a year or two on one with a V8.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you're talking about an 2014 or up the 4.3 is a completely different motor than the old S10 4.3. The new ecotec 4.3 has 285HP and a good tork band, compared to the old 195HP S-10 motor. It delivers plenty of power and good MPG,unless you're planning on towing a lot the ECOTEC 3 4.3 would be fine.

The old 4.3 was a real work horse although a little short on power.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

quaker state oil will gum any motor up...You put thousands in a truck and run cheap oil in it....Valvoline is the best...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
quaker state oil will gum any motor up...You put thousands in a truck and run cheap oil in it....Valvoline is the best...
Not sure the oil was the problem, at that time I was commuting about 900 to ,1000 @ week so oil change intervals were around every 3 weeks, so its not like it was left in there for months.
That is also what the dealership used when they had it for service
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
yes have seen this many times . that stuff will gum it up
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Part of the Community

I too wonder if Wildman is talking about the new, or older 4.3L...I had the 4.3 in a 96 blazer I put through [censored] and back. They had intake manifold issues; they'd warp. Mine was one of them. At 210K I finally got rid of it. Never let me sit, never let me down and the intake wasn't too bad to repair. It was the only thing did major to the vehicle during the time I owned it.
I often said that motor was reliable, but it was over sized and under powered. For it's size I'd expected more out of it. It was perfectly sized for the blazer, but as some mentioned before, its a bit undersized for a full sized truck other than a short bed single cab.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page