Truck Caps. Any preferences? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Truck Caps. Any preferences?

Well, now that I bit the bullet and bought a new truck, I need to get it outfitted with a cap. I've been doing some shopping and I think I'm down to a choice between Leer and A.R.E. I'm also still deciding between the base models and the upscale models with the frameless side windows and the frameless rear hatch door. I generally don't worry much about the fiberglass, but most of the issues I've had with my caps were related to the hardware (mostly the gas props and the handles and locks.) Any thoughts? Have any of you guys looked at or owned Ranch brand caps? Any others worth a look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:02 PM
The Man

Re: Truck Caps. Any preferences?

I just went through all of this myself. I ended up with an ARE, got it on 12/23. I just went with the base model (V-Series?) as that was plenty expensive enough and then added on the accessories I wanted (tower series Yakima roof rack, side windoors, sliding / tilt in front window, fishing rod holder).

Just for that I was creeping up on $2k! Caps are crazy expensive! I've always had one but tried living without one for about a month or so and just hated it. I couldn't leave stuff in the bed, when I did it got wet or worried about it getting stolen.

I've had 2 Leers in the past, the ARE seems to be just as well built and was a bit cheaper than the Leer.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Just bought a Leer for my Toyota Tacoma. It's functional but I didn't think the workmanship and quality equaled the price I had to pay for it. I don't know if I would buy another Leer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mike
Just bought a Leer for my Toyota Tacoma. It's functional but I didn't think the workmanship and quality equaled the price I had to pay for it. I don't know if I would buy another Leer.
Mike, which model did you buy?
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am in the same position too. Ordered a new f150. my last truck had a Pace Edwards/jackrabbit roll top. it was the best of both worlds as I needed an open bed a lot. Drawback was that bad weather trips needed to have everything fit under the roll top.
I think I am going to go a different direction this time and get a ARE with side win-doors and carpet lined. It seems the difference in series is the construction of the window frames and hardware. website doesn't mention shell differences. Is anyone aware of any shell differences?Going to a local shop tomorrow. My buddy has an ARE and the only problem he had was after 7 years the piano hinge on the back window started to break. I think this was from pulling down on one side to close it rather than the middle. He was able to get anew hinge put on. His brother has a Leer with frame less glass and my problem with that one was the back window did not raise up enough, the edge was at forehead height for me . Got whacked a few times. Im 6' and he is 6'4 so it's at his eye level. That alone would be a deal killer.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 AM
New Arrival

I've got a Leer 100XR on my F150, had it for 5 years now. I had to have a side window replaced due to leaking right after installation. Then I had to have it repainted within the first year and there are spots along the bottom that need paint now. I also replaced the window screen, brake light, and rear struts about 6 months ago. It never was completely water tight and I've always had small puddles and dampness after rain. For what I paid, I've been disappointed. I would probably try the A.R.E. if I were to get another truck soon. I don't know if they are any better; but at least it would be something different. I never heard of Ranch.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 02:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

WexfordBowHunter, Sent you a P.M. I think the model number was the 100R Mike ...........
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM
The Man

WaldJager, I believe the only differences are as you stated and at most the contour of the shell. Like the higher end models may blend with the truck better / be less boxy. I don't care about that and if it wasn't raining I'd go take a pic of my rig for you. Regardless, I think the shells are all made of the same material / process, just using a different form.

As for the Leers, I had my last truck for 11+ years. I bought it new in 2004 and immediately put a Leer 100XR (I think) on it. Regardless, it had frame-less glass. The only trouble I had was some leaking around the rear window. Those struts are a wear and tear item, so after so much use they need replaced. They're pretty cheap at the auto parts stores and take about 2 minutes to swap out. I think I put 2 sets on my old truck?

Anyways, I'm 6'1" and never had any trouble hitting my head. My guess is the struts just needed replaced.

I found that when all was said and done, depending on what / if you get any options, they will work out to be near the same price. Priced out with my options, and the available coupons (Look at leer.com and ARE.com, as they both have coupons / deals!!) I came out a couple hundred cheaper going with ARE.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Mike
WexfordBowHunter, Sent you a P.M. I think the model number was the 100R Mike ...........
Got your PM and sent you a reply. Thanks for the info.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
I've got a Leer 100XR on my F150, had it for 5 years now. I had to have a side window replaced due to leaking right after installation. Then I had to have it repainted within the first year and there are spots along the bottom that need paint now. I also replaced the window screen, brake light, and rear struts about 6 months ago. It never was completely water tight and I've always had small puddles and dampness after rain. For what I paid, I've been disappointed. I would probably try the A.R.E. if I were to get another truck soon. I don't know if they are any better; but at least it would be something different. I never heard of Ranch.
Thanks for the info Greg. I think your info is steering me away from Leer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page