trialer registration laws - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

trialer registration laws

I have a friend who has a enclosed trailer rated at 5200 lbs that failed inspection due to a bad axle and rusted frame. It would be to expensive to repair so he is going to trade in. I was thinking of buying the trailer and turning into a flat bed and replacing the axle with one without brakes. Does anyone know if it is possible to lower the gvwr to under 3000 when registering the trailer to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Re: trialer registration laws

I brought a trailer years ago and made it a snowmobile trailer.
It was a hassle but did get it registered. I had a bill of sale for the origional trailer, I had to take pictures of what I did, showed invoice for parts then go to a tag place and fill out a form. It took almost 2 months before they sent me a title with a serial number I had to afix on the frame. Then I could get a set of tags.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I know it is a pain to get a title, but this trailer is already titled and registered. I want to lower the weight class like what is done with trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM

register it in maine, done deal no hassle

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBruin
register it in maine, done deal no hassle
Please explain . I thought trailers had to be registered in the state of the owners residence ? Also within a certain amount of time ?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Part of the Community

Here is a thought: This is based on a trailer I had built some years ago for a boat (frame was from an old trailer). Strip the trailer and do the work need, paint it and replace the lights. In other words make it look new. Photograph all four sides, go to the DOT with the photos. The people at DOT will see it is a new constructed trailer ready for the road and issue a registration plate that is attached to the tongue. Tags will cost $6.00. This what happens when you build a new trailer. If you have tags for the original, turn them in with the registration plate, it was scraped. I was asked what color the trailer is that I was getting registered. I said gray primer, but was painting it red. Well, I had to go home and paint it then photograph it again for the DOT. They want to see the finished product. You can call the DOT and ask what you need for a home built trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page