Dodge truck problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Dodge truck problem

1998 Dakota 4x4 big engine, starts and idles perfect. ONLY on cold mornings after a mile or so it starts bucking and backfiring. Then after a couple hundred yards of this it runs perfect again. No codes or engine light. This only happens on cold mornings, even after I let it idle and the temp was up to normal before starting out. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Dodge truck problem

This is only a guess. Moisture in distributor is frozen. Once it warms it evaporates and causes issue.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The first thing to look at is the IAC (Idle air control motor).
Quote:
The IAC is equivalent to the cold fast idle cam on a carbuatored motor. Whenever the PCM senses an additional load on the engine (Park to R or D), A/C on, Discharged battery being charged at high rate by alternator(requires more engine power to charge), or cranking steering hard to engage maximum power steering assist) the IAC HAS to increase the amount of air coming into the air horn assembly to prevent too rich a mixture from stalling the cold engine. The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) governs the amount of fuel added at warm up and the engine stalling ,but not getting enough fuel added to the air when the engine is cold.
Seeing it runs normally during/after warm up the ETC appears to be working so the first step check-clean-replace the IAC. In either instance clean the body body.

"Big engine"? If its the 5.2(318) or 5.9(360) the IAC in located on the rear of the throttle body attached by two screws and one connector.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

5.9 engine, runs really well for about 1/8 mile THEN acts up. I let it idle Sunday for 15 minutes and 1/8 mile down the road it started backfiring and bucking. I'm not good at working on this stuff, I will see my mechanic and relay this. Thank you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Mechanic is running it in the morning while cold with a "Live Data" tester connected. He is thinking an oxygen sensor. More money out.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Oxygen sensor should throw a code , as well as misfiring ... That's weird that it hasn't yet .

2015 success
3 doe
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

winchester - you are right, it should throw a code. I dropped it off at the garage, mechanic drove it the next morning with a data tester on it. Nothing!! I pick it up and yesterday morning the temps were about 38 degrees, it coughed a couple times, I eased off the gas, after about 1/8 mile smooth as good be. Mechanic is sure it is the oxygen sensor, but which one? How I long for the good old days -- no stinking electronics, an engine that looked like an engine!!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This website may help with the O2 sensor. http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...oxygen-sensor/

2015 success
3 doe
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Hey!! The problem was the outboard O2 sensor. The live data show the sensor flat lined 1/8 mile into the drive (28 Degrees that morning) and one minute later it came back online. Thank you all for your help, I passed along all the above info to my mechanic. He is the type of guy that doesn't act like a know it all and easy excepts ideas. And he is a very knowledgeable mechanic.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:05 PM

Man I miss my 1993 Dakota with the 5.2 V8. Somebody smashed into me and totaled it!! I have been looking for a 1998-2003 Dakota Ex Cab 4x4 with the 360 forever. Most of them were in 2 wheel drives and regular cabs. In general that motor in a Dakota is very rare.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page