Chevy Flex Fuel Dual Stage Engine...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Chevy Flex Fuel Dual Stage Engine......

IS A NIGHTMARE HAHA!! Man I bought that thing in 2010 feeling like I was the champ getting a truck that slipped down to 6 cylinders on the highway to save fuel. Took care of it for all I was worth. Change the order every 3500 miles even though GM says 7500. Kept up on everything religiously. Drive it like my 90 year old grandpa. 5 years and 136,000 later the rear lifter in the shut off cylinder goes and ruins the cam as well. $3-$4000 to repair and there are 15 other lifters in the engine to go. When will the next one go? Replace them all......$5000ish. So I decided to just drop a new engine in the thing for $6400. Oh by the way, this is nearly twice the cost of a normal V8 remanufactured engine. The point of this post is to not talk people out of the Vortec but just consider the daul stage engine as a small risk. If something goes bad it's gonna cost you no matter what. Those cylinders kicking on and off all the time wears them out way faster then the other 6 that are just on all the time. And replacement of the motor is a lot more expensive than a standard. The money I've saved in fuel mileage is more then gone with this issue. I love Chevy Silverado's but I will personally never buy a dual stage engine again as much as it pains me. This is actually a 'quiet' common problem with Silverados.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Chevy Flex Fuel Dual Stage Engine......

As I remember, back in the 70's was developing the v8-6-4 technology. GM caught wind of the intent and hurriedly put out the v8-6-4 in the Cadillac. It was a miserable failure since the development process was build it and we will fix it later. Most had the electronic deactivation bypassed to get the car to run. Eventually it was shelved until within the past few years Dodge has had a cylinder deactivation program but operates differently than the old GM program. I didn't know GM had tried again. Apparently failing again. Too bad they aren't helping with the problem.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys

Sorry to hear,I have a 010 Silverado with V8 that drops to 4 cyl.when it calls for.Never heard it being a issue. I would call GM. something wasn't right from the factory on your motor. I have 70,000 miles on mine and runs like a watch. I installed a Jegs motor. " Long block" in my brothers 2005 Dodge last year.small V8. Time we were done he had around 5 grand in it. With free labor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Yep Willy, mine was an excellent engine too until Monday. No warning no nothing. Just an instant knocking in the engine halfway to work. While I say its 'common' I'm sure that most Silverado's will never have the issue that I had. It's just unlikely that any of us will experience the 'common' problems of the vehicles we own otherwise they would be re-calls in a lot of cases. In this case GM would have to recall the engine lol. That's NEVER going to happen haha. This is just straight up bad luck for me. Could have just as easily went 250,000 miles. If I were an owner of this truck that didn't have this problem yet I would most certainly be looking at things to do to service those lifters such as doing an engine flush occasionally or running some resolene through every couple of oil changes. There are things you can do to prevent it or at least make it less likely but the #1 thing is the CHANGE THE OIL every 3500 miles and not 7500 as recommended by GM for those trucks. Doing it every 7500 will make it much more likely that you'll have this issue as well as having the oil pressure switch go on you over and over which is also miserable.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would recommend having the AFM (cylinder deactivation) removed which can be done through a tune. It can be done electronically on a computer with the proper software. Most modern performance shops should be able to take care of that. Everyone that I know with the 5.3 AFM motors have had it removed and the difference is night and day. Ironically, after removal they reported better gas mileage and a more powerful truck.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Hmmmmmmm...thanks for the post HW. I hadn't heard that that was an option so I'm going to look into that right now on the internet. Do a little research. My engine isn't due in for another 4-5 days so I have a little time here. I'm kicking myself for not knowing this sooner though. Not knowing it was even a possible issue.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

A friend of mine recently had afm deleted in his truck through a tune at Tune Time Performance in NJ. He was about ready to sell his truck..now he loves it. I have a 6.2 Silverado with out AFM but will still get it tuned for all the other benefits..if it was a 5.3 I would have had it tuned immediately.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 10:34 PM
Part of the Community

I have a 2010 sierra, I have had the AFM disabled since new. I highly recommend it. I have a diablo intune 1000.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 AM

Anyone know where you can have this done in the Butler county area ?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It might be worth the trip,these guys are the best around!

http://www.tunetimeperformance.com/reviews.html

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page