death wobble - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

death wobble

does anybody have a jeep that has death wobble I have a 2013 wrangler unlimited that has a terrible one every time I hit a decent size bump it goes crazy and about rips the steering wheel out of my hands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: death wobble

dealer warranty ..sounds like either ball joints or the rack and pinion gear box..could be wheel bearings...off road alot?

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

on occasion I have a 4 inch lift on it I have heard from allot of places even stock jeeps do it they said its the combonatio of parts and there locations and corresponding solid front axle that's the cause it can be anything from a bushing replacement or a whole new front end they make death wobble kits to help get rid of the problem but most of the reviews on them say its only a bandaid and the problem will come back I do not take my kids in my jeep because when it happens I either have to swerve off the road or hit the brakes and go below 35 which is not safe when your on a buisy highway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Many, many years ago I had a Jeepster Commando that had a similar problem, I tried a lot of different things,something as simple as a heavy duty dual stablizer bar cured it.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:44 PM
atr
Banned

I bought a 2005 wrangler two years ago on some occasion when i'm driving around 50mph I get the death wobble, on a couple occasions it was bad enough that I had to pull over. Haven't had it in the shop yet because I don't wanna get into replacing parts just to find out it didn't fix the problem
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have a 2001 Wrangler w/6" lift and 35" tires and was having that problem.I bought some Synergy ball joints and new tires to get it inspected and haven't had the death wooble since.So for me it was either ball joints or tires or the combination.Synergys are pricey but they are heavy duty and greasable.

Ive checked the internet and there are tons of different things that could cause it from track bars to steering components so good luck.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Lift kits can drastically change the steering angle of the vehicle and this enhances the "death wobble". The more negative the SA, the greater chance of wobble. Think of the shimmy of the front wheels on a shopping cart is the easiest way to describe it. A good steering damper will help but having an alignment by a shop that will take suspension modifications into account will be a huge help. Most lift kits have new alignment spec. sheets included.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 AM
The Man

I did the liftin craze back in the late 70,s early eighties but would never do it today.One of the vehicles I lifted was a 77 CJ7 and never remember ever havin the death wobble and it was played with hard and put away wet.The onlt trouble I had was keepin it right side up.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think the "death wobble" was generally associated with F-250/350 for trucks, but looks like Jeeps have been added to the list of a few. Search death wobble on youtube.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 12:11 AM
Part of the Community

Usually the front end needs aligned.I found it is toe in or out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page