New Colorado? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

New Colorado?

It seems to be getting great reviews, and has won Motor Trends "Truck of the Year", but has anyone here bought one ? Do you like it? What if anything don't you like about it?

The jobs are all gone and they are never coming back. Thanks for buying that import.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New Colorado?

I don't own one, it looks to be a pretty good truck according to all the reports, but I'm not sure about the V6. If it had a small V8 it would be a done deal for me.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Sage

The new V6 punches out a tad over 300HP, so what could be wrong with it, power-wise? Had several 4.3L V6s in the old S10 line and they were only around 190HP.

Had my sights set on a Colorado for this spring, after checking one out last fall. Only problem, they're still scarce.

Went with a leftover 2014 Silverado instead, when the "rebate" got up to $9500 and there were still plenty to choose from. No regrets. It gets much better fuel mileage than my 2010 Silverado Z71 did, has far more bells'n whistles. Averages around 16 in town, has hit almost 22MPG on trips. And goes like the wind, if need be.

Had my truck back for service a few weeks ago and they are still having problems getting any Colorados in. Quick as they get one, it's gone.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think 300HP is plenty, for me anyway. Some of the tests done with the 4 banger even said that was ok.
You're right about them not being able to keep them in stock, I looked at one, and when I went back to road test it, it was already sold. I guess that could be a good sign!
I was also looking at the Silverado, but they priced about 6,000 more.

Good luck with your new truck!

The jobs are all gone and they are never coming back. Thanks for buying that import.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Sage

Had my 2010 in for work around the first week of last October. They'd just gotten a Colorado in at the time. Couldn't take if for a spin because it was sold the day they got it, was in the showroom.

Sat in it, tinkered with the power seat and other doodads, decided it suited me fine so far. Crew cab shortbed Z71 and loaded. IIRC, sticker price on that one was around $36K or so?

At the time they were knocking about $7K off of the leftover 2014 Silverados.

By the end of October that was up to $9500 off, so the difference in price between a new Colorado or a 2014 Silverado, was no longer an issue. And they still had over two dozen to pick from. Less than a month later, only a handful of leftovers on the lot.

Was ready to go back to a smaller truck and liked the Colorado, but money talks and that much off of a new truck was hard to pass up.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

With that kind of deal I would have bought the Silverado too, after all there's no guess work with them, they are great trucks.
Did you get the 5.3 motor?

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Did you get the 5.3 motor?
Third one I've had going back to 2006, all great motors.

Only thing I don't like about the new one, is the motor noise. 0w20 semi-synthetic makes it jingly at idle, plus they tell me the high pressure oil system also accounts for some of that racket?

Noisier new, than my old one was with 58,000 miles.

No matter, it's warranteed for 5 years/100k miles, so let 'er jingle.

Just got home a bit ago and a Colorado passed me going the other way as I waited to turn in the driveway. That new dark red metallic and lookin' mighty snazzy.

I haven't seen one around here yet that wasn't either black or that dark red.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 11:45 PM

Had a 2002 Avalanche. Perfect for my needs plus some. Had the 5.3, never had a problem. Was getting time for something new.

Had my eyes on a Canyon (GMC equivalent to the Colorado). The right one never made it in view. What I was looking for would have a sticker of about 37,500 or so. The thing about that truck that bothered me was how the rear seat folded and how my GSP would fit comfortably.

In Feb during the Presidents Sale, I found a 2015 Sierra double cab that had everything I wanted for about 35,000 or 10K off sticker. Dog fits fine in his bed. Plenty of room. After about 3K miles, milage at about 18 mpg. Have gotten over 22mpg on a recent trip to WV.

My concern about the full size was how it would fit in my garage. It makes it with about 2 inches to spare front and rear.

I would have preferred the crew cab short bed but this deal was too good to pass up.

Still have my eyes on a Canyon for the future. May be 10-13 years if this one does as good as the Avalanche.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bearhollow,

That is just a GREAT price for a new GMC! With that kind of mileage it's a good arguement for a full size truck. It might be better for my Setters too.

Denny,
Did you see a real power increase in the new 5.3 over your 2010, or are they just paper ponies?

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:41 AM
Sage

My experiences mirror those with the Sierra.

My 2010 had 3:08 axles, so it was a dog off'n the line. Went back to the 3:42 ratio with the 2014 and it flies. Appreciate that when merging onto four lanes. Tows as well as the Sierra did, too.

My 2006 Was a Sierra double cab w/3:42 ratio, four speed auto and the 5.3L. Got better fuel economy than the 2010 Silverado ever did (20MPG highway often) and was fast from a dead stop.

The 2010 with that high an axle ratio, six speed and the fuel computer (V8 to 4 cyl.), barely ever got 18 highway.

3:08 axles might work in flat country, not worth spit here in PA in the hills and mountains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page