2004 Ram Rear end question (long story) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
The Man

2004 Ram Rear end question (long story)

Preface: Full story is long, skip to the end for the question.

Ok, so I've opened a can of worms. I'm a "weekender" mechanic of a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Quad Cab with 209,000 miles on it. I'm the only owner. Yes, it's an old truck with a lot of miles. Yes, I'd like a new one. Right now, my budget is too tight so I'm trying to limp this along.

Basically I change the oil, brakes, etc. Small, uncomplicated things mostly so my experience with things is very limited. Remember this later. Also, with various time constraints and family coming into town, this project started last Wednesday and is ongoing.

My driver's side rear end was squealing last week so I pulled the tire and saw the inner brake pad was gone and the rotor was getting chewed up. So I checked the front and saw they were low enough but the rotor was good. Got pads for all 4 but just rotors for the back.

Yanking the rear driver's side caliper, I noticed the e-brake cable was all corroded. I tested it and sure enough that was shot and needed replaced (inspection is next month so gotta do it now or later). Long story short, it took 2 days to get the right one and then while replacing it, I ended up getting a new tensioner because the old one was too corroded for even PB Blaster to work.

Got that hooked up finally and went to front and needed a new outer tie rod end. Got that and the brakes done and went to the passenger side. The rear wheel was seized to the rotor, which had never happened to me before. PB Blaster, some kicking, a dead blow mallet, and some cussing did nothing to dislodge it, so Youtube showed me a trick using a sledge on the inner part of the tire. Bingo.

I got the brakes together on that and had to adjust the e-brake pads on that side because I could barely get the old rotor off and really couldn't get the new one on. I made it so it was snug and closed it all back up.

Did the brakes on the front passenger side and jumped in to fire it up and see if anything needed adjusted and the battery was dead. It's quite old, I think I replaced it 5 years and over 100,000 miles ago. So I got a ride to Walmart and bought a new one. When replacing it, the bolt through the wedge securing the battery in place, snapped off even after hitting it with PB Blaster and letting it soak.

I got the battery in and headed down the driveway to test and go get gas. There's a ticking coming from the rear end, I initially thought it was the driver's side. So back into the garage we go (I didn't even make it to the street).

(Main question starts here!)I jack up the rear end and yank the driver's side tire. I don't see anything that'd cause a tick, so I try spinning the wheel (tranny in neutral, but not the 4N on the 4wd knob because it doesn't seem to want to work. I've never tried it before so I don't know if it's broken or I didn't do something right) to see if I can make it do it. I can't spin the wheel. I go to the passenger side where the tire is still on and I can't make that spin either. I put the truck in drive since it's on jack stands, and at idle, the passenger side spins but not the driver's side. I'd noticed that the passenger side tire showed more wear than any of the other 3, so now I'm concerned.

I believe I should be able to spin the tires (by hand) with it on jacks and in neutral. Can anyone confirm that?

And, since I can't and the driver's side won't spin at idle, does this sound like a normal anti-spin differential or that my rear end is jacked up?

This are 2 areas that I really don't know much about, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks for any help, it is really appreciated!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 08:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 2004 Ram Rear end question (long story)

I can't completely answer but the passenger rear is the drive wheel and unless you rotate your tires at least every 5,000 it will show. I believe you should be able to turn the wheel but I believe it will be hard as the other side will also turn. If I remember right it will turn in the opposite direction. It's been a long time since I have done it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 PM
The Man

Are you sure their is not a issue with the E-brakes you installed? That is the first place I would check before tearing into the differential.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Update:

So I have determined that I have a open rear end, since the wheels spin in opposite directions. They are hard to turn but do turn.

I yanked everything completely off (again) last night and checked for anything hanging up. I backed the ebrake adjustments way off (and ended up pulling the adjuster on the driver's side as it was locked up. Some PB Blaster, and then a wire brush revitalized it to functioning correctly). I put it all back together and tried putting it in drive while lifted with no tires and got no noise. Installed the tires and the noise was back.

After much poking around, I FINALLY discovered that it was the 5-6 welded on weights inside the wheel were just barely making contact with the edge of one of the fins on the anti-rattle clips. Since I'd cleaned those up with a wire wheel I couldn't tell because they were shiny all over and the rubbing was so slight it was barely marring the weights. As soon as I bent that clip in just a hair, no more noise.

So, I ran down to the gas station a couple miles down the road with the windows down listening for any noises. I heard none. I got there and smoke and heat was rolling out of the rear driver's side wheel well! Now apparently I have a caliper hung up? That's my best guess. It was 11 PM at that point so I parked it when I got home, cleaned up and went to bed.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 03:33 PM
The Man

Some times the surface where the brakes ride on the caliper get corroded, and when you apply brakes, they work, but they do not release as they should. try cleaning the surface where the metal edge of brake pads ride.
Good luck

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree with Buzz. If your caliper was bad I think you would have noticed a problem when you were replacing the pads.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Working on it tonight. Will try to save the old caliper but I have a new one and brake fluid waiting in the garage just in case.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You really should do them in pairs. If they are old and hanging up at all you will notice a difference.
I know they aren't cheap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Replaced the hung up one yesterday. All is better now.

Bumble Bea, I would, but it you read my first full post in this thread, I'm on "unexpected problem" #?. I'm outta cash at the moment. And I discovered my muffler has a leak and I need an alignment...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bea
I can't completely answer but the passenger rear is the drive wheel and unless you rotate your tires at least every 5,000 it will show. I believe you should be able to turn the wheel but I believe it will be hard as the other side will also turn. If I remember right it will turn in the opposite direction. It's been a long time since I have done it.
I take it you have no idea on how a differential works.

2D hunter.
Sponsored by myself - PROSTAFF.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page