Chains on F-150's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Chains on F-150's

I have a question for you F-150 owners. My first f150 was an '02. I run tire chains a lot when I'm up at my camp in winter. On my '02 I had no issues. But my second F-150 was on '07 and they started doing those outward mounted shocks on them. When I ran chains, they would slap the shocks and make an annoying loud slapping noise.
I just got a '14 F-150 and it has the outward mounted shocks also. What kind of chains do you guys run that don't slap the shocks??? I got mine from tire chains.com. Looking to get a better set that doesn't slap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:00 PM
The Man

Re: Chains on F-150's

I run them almost every day on my work truck, which is a 2010 F150. I have a set of v bars right now that I got from tirechains.com..........they have the cams to tighten them up.......after using the cams, I will never buy a set without the cams on them. tighten them once and you are good to go....

I had to cut a crosslink off of the chains, and trim the ends accordingly to get rid of any slapping I had. I left three link on after the last cross link. I usually hook the inside into the second link, and hook the outside as tight as I can get it. Then you flip all of the cams and you are good to go.

Cutting that cross link and shortening the side chains got rid of any slapping issues that I had

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Part of the Community

Get a set of rims and tires and put the chains on the tires while they are deflated and then inflate the tires.
Then keep the tires with the chains in a shed somewhere.
I know this don't solve your problem but if you have to use chains to get into your camp you are probably better off to just stay home!

I think that chains gives people with four wheel drives a over confidence and sooner or later you might end up driving off the road and then the tow will cost double, because you will get stuck someplace where the tow truck driver doesn't want to take his tow truck and he might charge you double to get you out!

I would be more worried that I might damage the strut and that would be pretty expensive to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail
Get a set of rims and tires and put the chains on the tires while they are deflated and then inflate the tires.
I know this don't solve your problem but if you have to use chains to get into your camp you are probably better off to just stay home!

I think that chains gives people with four wheel drives a over confidence and sooner or later you might end up driving off the road and then the tow will cost double, because you will get stuck someplace where the tow truck driver doesn't want to take his tow truck and he might charge you double to get you out!

I would be more worried that I might damage the strut and that would be pretty expensive to replace.
I can have a set of chain on and off in 5 or 10 minutes tops, it isn't a big deal and they are not difficult to put on........

You need tthem this time of year to travel unplowed forestry roads and such, they arent really bad roads just too much snow clogging up tire treads so chains give you plenty of traction.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I've been stuck places well beyond the reach of a tow truck, without the use of chains. I've also never hired a tow truck driver to recover my vehicle from such places. It turns out that some people are inclined to venture off improved and/or maintained roadways, whether for work or play.

WMU 3A
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:

I don't need chains to get into my camp. They are for driving back roads in FL and beaver trapping season.
Been driving with chains for about 20 years and have never been stuck where I couldn't get out.
I appreciate your suggestion, but think I'll stick with putting the chains on and off. Pretty easy to jack it up and put them on.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thanks for the suggestion Buckshot. Sounds good.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Quote:

I don't need chains to get into my camp. They are for driving back roads in FL and beaver trapping season.
Been driving with chains for about 20 years and have never been stuck where I couldn't get out.
I appreciate your suggestion, but think I'll stick with putting the chains on and off. Pretty easy to jack it up and put them on.
I don't even jack it up.

Just lay the chains out flat and untangle them, then drape a chain over each tire so that the first cross link is just under the front of the tire. Get in and pull ahead about 2 or so feet, so that the connectors are at roughly axle height. Hook em up, flip the cams and you are done.........

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:26 PM

I've never jacked up a vehicle to install tire chains either.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdchuckhuntr
I've never jacked up a vehicle to install tire chains either.
then you've never been stuck !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page