Cummins leaving dodge? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Cummins leaving dodge?

Is it true that cummins is leaving dodge and going with Nissans?

2015 success
3 doe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Cummins leaving dodge?

Cumins is owned by ford.nissans truck were built by dodge I don't know if they still are I could check.Power stroke ia an ih. motor ford started building them this year.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 12:12 AM
Sage

Cummins is "owned" by Cummins and traded on the NY Stock Exchange as such, last I knew?

As for rumors about them leaving Ram trucks, those have been flyin' around for years and so far proven to have been only rumors.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 07:50 PM
The Man

Ford was building there own diesel and putting it in trucks in 2011. The trade name "power stroke" is owned by Ford, even though IH built there engines up til 2011.
Denny is correct, Cummins is owned by Cummins.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Sage

Most of my clan has favored CATs for over the road trucks and triaxles for many years. Some seem to be weakening the past few years, though.

Last year in deer season I stopped to visit the cousin with the excavating business and they had one of their lowboy tractors in the shop. Asked the guy who was working on it if Gary (his boss) knew that critter had a Cummins in it?

Guy said they all picked on him about having a "brand X" engine in a Peterbilt, but Gary said the price was right.

Last year he ditched all of his Ford 4x4 diesel pickups for new 3/4 ton 4x4 Ram gassers. Only "pickup" in the fleet now with a diesel, is a one ton Ram flatbed.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 12:09 PM
The Man

Ford has had some trouble with there diesel's in the past couple of years. I have a friend who has 5 or 6 of them in the 550 chassis, and has had a lot of trouble with the engines.
They may have the issues worked out of them now??

You can not get 15 Litre (500 PLUS HP)CAT engine anymore, in any truck. CAT basically gave up there on highway engine program in big trucks, saying the cost for them to meet emission's was not worth it. That pretty much left CUMMINS as the big dog, with Detroit Diesel still in the mix.
PACCAR which is the company that owns Peterbilt and Kenworth, has come out with their own engine, they build themselves. Biggest HP is about 475, but so far it seems to be a decent engine. If you want 500 to 600 hp, you are basically looking at CUMMINS, like it or not.
I was a CAT guy as well, all my trucks had 550hp CATs, but had to switch to CUMMINS in the new ones.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

While I don't know the answer to Winchesters question "leaving Dodge". It is reported that the 2015 Nissian (not out yet) will be available with a Cummins engine. Reports also say the the 2016 Tundra will have the same/similar Cummins available, both engines are to have a high mpg rating. I find it curious that Toyota is going this route since they have a diesel in use in their right hand drive models abroad.

The 3.0 Eco Diesel for the 1500 Ram appears to come from a source other than Cummins.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
The Man

I don't have that answer either, but I can tell you that Cummins builds engines for Peterbilt, Kenworth, Freightliner, International, Western Star, and about a dozen different motor home company's. Not to mention there off road line,which includes light plants, farm tractors, and various other equipment.

To summarize, Cummins may build for Nissan, but they build for several others as well, so it is not like they can only build for one auto maker. Cummins is way bigger than most realize, auto makers don't dictate to them.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Sage

When I whizz past the Cleveland Bros. shop on 147 headin' for camp, I see they have CAT branded triaxle cab and chassis setups sitting out front.

One of my northern tier gear jammer cousins informed me last year that CAT is now out of the OTR engine bidness.

He did tell me who builds those CAT trucks, intended for the cement mixer/dump truck markets, forgot already.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF
He did tell me who builds those CAT trucks, intended for the cement mixer/dump truck markets, forgot already.
International (I believe).

One of my employees has the ecodiesel in a Ram, towed his 26' camper for the first time this weekend, he is boasting 15 mpg towing and 32 bob-tailing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page