How to get the best deal on a New Car - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

How to get the best deal on a New Car

Just curious as to what the best tactics are to get a good deal on a vehicle. My wife totaled her car last week and we are once again shopping for a new one. I hate this process so I figured I'd se if there were any tips to make this easier. Looking at Toyota 4Runners, btw.

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 11:20 AM

Re: How to get the best deal on a New Car

Here is what I found, and I just bought a new car this month. Very little negotiating goes on at the dealerships. They seem to not want to work with you at all anymore.

A member on here, John-PA, told me to find the exact car that you want via internet shopping. Once you find it, almost all dealerships have a "get e-quote" button, click on that and it'll ask for your email address, etc. I usually had quotes back within a day, many times within the hour depending on when I sent it. They seem to send you their best price right off the bat to get you to the dealership.

The Outback we bought, they knocked 3500 right off the top by just clicking that button. I went to 3 dealerships after that, with that price, stating i'd buy a car today if they beat that price, and no one would.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM
The Man

DONT TELL THEM YOUR WIFE TOTALED YOUR CAR.

FInd another car in the same price range but a bit lower in price. Or even a used car that has low miles. Use this car as you haggling device. I am a shyster when it comes to buying cars, and jewelry. There is a mark up. Jewlery is around 300%. Not the case with cars but there is still room to get money off. Be sure that the other car is in direct competition with that dealership. Be sure you know your facts and such about incentives and warranty.

They know what the bottom dollar is that they can sell the car to you for. I lucked out when I got my car as the company I work for orders our truck chassis through them and give them a heck of a lot of business. But what helped me was I had a car in mind that was in decent distance to this dealership. I knew that they would rather take a hit on the overall profit to 1 gain my business, and 2 take a sale off of another dealership.

The other thing is that you may be able to get them to throw in oil changes, tire rotations, extended warranties as well instead of taking money off of the car. This will save you money, but not directly impact their profit margins.

Don't be afraid to leave if they cant make the payments in your range.

But most of all don't let them know that you are in need of a car because the other car got totaled.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Never shop a payment, they love when you do that.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 10:48 PM
The Man

Not having any trade makes it much easier. Usually the price given for a trade will make the biggest difference among dealers.

I agree with doing research online first. Use Ebay, autotrader....etc to get a idea of current prices at dealerships in your area.
Be sure to compare apples/apples.....same model, accessories, wheels, etc.
Also, look at manufacture website to see current factory rebates or other offers.

Bottom line, be as informed as you can before you go to the dealership. I would also price the same vehicle from at least 2 dealerships.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 AM

Last 3 times I've bought new , I always go for a straight up price . Then I know how low they are willing to go . Then I toss in the trade to seal the deal . Only thing you have to know is how low your willing to give your trade away for. They may not like the idea of the trade at the last moment , but at least you know how low they will go on the new vehicle .

Oh , and if you can wait , go at the end of the month . Dealers usually have to make a monthly quota . So they'll be under pressure to make a good deal .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Check out truecar.com, it'll show you what similar vehicles have sold for in your area, invoice, and msrp. And they are registered with certain dealers that'll honor their prices. If you have a Costco membership they have a similar program, and I heard they actually use truecar, not sure if that true or not.
Here's a 4x4 SR5 with preffered equip pkg:

Please help us find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis: Kaelyn's Kure
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:29 PM

Search the web to find the invoice price and the Dealer Hold Back amt that the dealership gets. The invoice amt minus the hold back amount is usually the price you can get at the end of the month. Use the internet to find dealers that are willing to negotiate and then go talk to them.

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -&gt; BANG
KingRon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

PM me. I will offer what we just did. To hard to type.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page