looking to buy a new truck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

looking to buy a new truck

I have a 2008 Ford f150 that I am not happy with and the boss (wife) said I can get rid of it and get a new truck. I am looking at Dodge and Toyota. Anyone have any good or bad thoughts on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 AM
The Man

Re: looking to buy a new truck

Friend just took her Toyota back to dealer because frame was rusted in two, only to have dealer tell her it was not under any warranty or recall. Truck is junk....I do not know the year, but I believe less than 10 years old.
I am not a Toyota fan, but others on these boards love them.

Buddy has a 2010 Dodge 1/2 ton. Has been a great truck for him, but it now has 70,000 miles and he is starting to have issues with heat controls, actuators and misc items. He is looking to trade right now, and is looking at new Dodges, and since I ordered my Raptor, he is looking at them as well.

I would pick Dodge over Toyota, but that is just my .02......and I am sure some Toyota guy's will disagree......

Toyotas history of frame and body rust are a big turn off for me.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Tundra is my favorite truck of all time.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM

I had a 2000 Tundra and Toyota replaced the frame on it in/about 2011 with 200K on it?? Somewhere around there. Truck ran fine.

I now have a 2012 Tundra. Nice truck with plenty of room and power for me. I have owned 4 Toyota vehicles now keeping all into high miles. They just keep running. No complaints here.

I would be checking more into the frame rust recall. They took care of a lot of trucks at no owner cost.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:12 AM
The Man

I think they are all good but every once in a while a lemon is inevitable. Figure out which truck suits your need and has the look you want.

I have had two Rams and currently have a Tundra. They were all good trucks but the 2008 Ram and my current 2012 Tundra seem to be my favorites at this point. Good luck!
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
clc
Part of the Community

I have a tacoma and love it. Ever since I bought my first toyota the family followed suit. Out of the 3 we currently own none of them have any problems. Toyota trucks are notorious for having frame rust but that is about the extent of th problems you will find. That in itself does not make them junk.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 PM

Tundra gets my vote for many reasons. Toyota builds very good vehicles and the Tundra is no exception. I was looking for a new truck. Was always a Ford guy. Took out the Ford, Chevy and Tundra.....would not even consider a Dodge....I own a '12 Tundra as a result of my research and test drives.

As for the OLD issue of frame/body rusting.....that has been resolved years ago. Do some research then go drive the Tundra......you too may come to the conclusion that it is a quality truck. All the best and happy hunting.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Does looks count? One is butt ugly!!!
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 05:43 PM

The only Dodge truck I had brand new, I had to have the transmission rebuilt at 72,000 miles. That is unacceptable to me. Plus, after about 7 years, it was nickel and diming me. If I'd bought a Toyota at the time, I probably would have gotten five years more out of it.

Actually, now I'm a Nissan guy. You'll get more truck for the money than you will from Toyota, similar quality, and less rust issues from the past. Dodge can't even compare in reliability.

Dodge does make a good looking truck, and probably the best diesel motor out there. Dodge reminds me of having a smoking hot girlfriend. Everybody turns their heads when she goes by, but she's real high maintenance and takes a lot of work to keep going good.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM
JGR

Does quality matter? If it does go with the Toy. Maintained properly they last forever. My first Toy was a Celica with the 20R motor, the body fell apart around the motor. Sold it to a guy who put that motor in an older one he was restoring and that motor is still running strong today at 35 years old with over 600k on it.
I've owned several Toys and have never gotten rid of one until it hit at least 200k. My wife drives a Celica getting ready to hit 200, and my T100 is at 250. Never had a minutes trouble with either, no one I know with any Chrysler product can say the same... and that was before Fiat bought them out.

JR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page