The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1960 Pa/Michigan Grouse Study

5K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  Pine-Creek 
#1 ·
Gentlemen,
You might be interested in this The actual 1960
Pa/Michigan Grouse Study - Better known to us that participated here in Pa, as the Potter County Grouse Study.
Punch it up on Google and read about the study, Roger L
was behind most of it, along with our PGC and our just initiated RGS.
Even in the beginning we understood what were trying to accomplish.
Pine Creek/Dave

#13 ·
Found it... if this is correct:
http://ww2.dnr.state.mi.us/publications/...0-2399/2322.pdf

The use of the word "study" is a discredit to the guy that wrote it if you don't catch the title of the document... which admittedly I did at first. But phrases such as "my impression", "apparently", "perhaps", "there doesn't seem" and "assumed that" had me wondering (-and then the fact it was only four pages long). Then I did look for a title... <span style="font-style: italic">Preliminary Report on the 1960 Grouse Season</span> ... then it all made sense.

The "joint study" between PA and MI equates to a paragraph about two guys from MI coming to PA to hunt for 5 days with an outdoor editor for Pittsburgh Press who was also in charge of research for the PGC." during PA's experimental late season.

#15 ·
Dean & Lyco Setter,
You must realize that most of the actual report/study was not
posted. As I indicated before this study was pretty much buried, what you are seeing is just a small excerpt of the study. What I was showing with this post is that the study was done and it does exist, however it is darn hard to get a full copy of it. If you noticed Walt Palmer not Bill Palmer as I indicated before, was in on the study for the PGC. Just because certain people do not know about what happened in the early days of RGS does not mean that these studies did not take place. Personally attacking me does not change the facts.
Pine Creek/Dave

#17 ·
timberdoodle,
Even with just the excerpt, it sure did not fit with what the RGS and PGC wanted the out come to show, that is real true, only a few of us, who actually were in on the Potter County/MI study, are still alive, we were young boys at that time. As usual when I brought this study up the agenda driven people were all over me with personal attacks. I must thank Frank for finding the excerpt of the old 1960 Potter County Pa/MI Grouse study that is still partially documented. Unfortunately I was talked into lending my full copy of the study a few years ago, and I never got the study document back.
Pine Creek/Dave

#19 ·
Timberdoodle,
I was 14 almost 15, my birthday is in February. If I remember correctly I was a few months short of my 15th birthday, when all this was going on.
Pine Creek/Dave

#20 ·
so you were born in 45 or 46.. I was born in 50 in March

I thought you were younger because we we having a discussion once and you said you wouldn't be eligible for a sr. license for another year when I said I was getting one this coming year. Maybe I misunderstood. So you have your lifetime license now?

But this report des not sound at all like any scientific study I have ever read.

#23 ·
Timberdoodle,
Sorry I gave you the wrong age, I used 1961 cause the
study was done in Dec of 60 if I remember, and I was just going to be 14 not 15. I will not get my life time license for another year or so.

As far as the study format goes, it was early days in RGS, and this is just an excerpt that was in the study, and yes they were written very informally, however that does not mean they were not accurate for the times.
Pine Creek/Dave

#25 ·
Lynnappelman,
I want you to understand I was in no way involved with
any of the moderators thoughts on the personal attack subject, I know full well when I am being attacked personally and it happens a lot when I bring up subjects other sportsman disagree with me on. There is one other thing I do need to address, I was asked to identify the location of the study, I still hunt Grouse in that particular area, and I will not identify the location.

Pine Creek/Dave

#26 ·
Pine-Creek said:
Dean & Lyco Setter,
You must realize that most of the actual report/study was not
posted. As I indicated before this study was pretty much buried, what you are seeing is just a small excerpt of the study. What I was showing with this post is that the study was done and it does exist, however it is darn hard to get a full copy of it. If you noticed Bill Palmer as I indicated before, was in on the study for the PGC. Just because certain people do not know about what happened in the early days of RGS does not mean that these studies did not take place. Personally attacking me does not change the facts.
Pine Creek/Dave
I am confused. Is Walter Palmer, Bill Palmer?? Was this on closed state ground that you spoke of?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.