Article - Second CWD Connected To Adams Co??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Article - Second CWD Connected To Adams Co???

Two of the deer testing positive were shot in Blair County, and the third in Bedford County. All three were harvested during Pennsylvania’s regular rifle deer season last fall. .......

The PGC announced the findings on March 1, and held a Harrisburg news conference to provide more details on March 4. At the new conference, the three CWD-positive-testing deer were identified as follows: an adult buck shot in Frankstown Township, Blair County (southeast of Altoona), an adult doe taken in Freedom Township, Blair County (along I-99 near East Freedom), and a 1 1/2-year-old buck shot in South Woodbury Township, Bedford County (near New Enterprise).

In every state where chronic wasting disease exists, it has been first connected to farm-raised deer — ........

it is not likely a coincidence that CWD has been discovered in Blair and Bedford counties. These two counties alone have over 110 deer and elk farms registered with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. This is approximately ten percent of all the deer farms in the state.......

<span style="font-weight: bold">Neville confirmed that an unspecified number of deer had, in fact, escaped from a Bedford County deer facility last year.

According to Neville, several of those tagged deer were subsequently shot by commission field officers, but all were not shot or captured.</span>

This is not an isolated case. Early last summer a captive doe named “Purple 4,” because of her purple ear tag bearing a number 4, escaped from an unlicensed deer facility near Alexandria, in Huntingdon County. That deer had originated from the New Oxford, Adams County deer farm, where a captive deer died from CWD last fall.

Purple 4 was first sold to Freedom Whitetails in Freedom Township, Blair County, and then sold to unlicensed deer farmer Gordon Trimer, who lives between Alexandria and Barree.

Again — perhaps no coincidence — Freedom Township is one of the Blair County townships where a wild deer has now tested positive for CWD.

<span style="font-weight: bold">According to Neville, some of the escaped Bedford County deer had also been connected to “Purple 4.” </span>That is, they may have been housed at the same deer farm where Purple 4 had been penned — making the transmission of CWD possible between deer.......

http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/1...-to-waste.html

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Re: Article - Second CWD Connected To Adams Co???

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

The Pennsylvania Department of Ag has not mention, no update, and no public information on the second CWD outbreak on their website.

The Lead Agency in the Pennsylvania Chronic Wasting Disease Task Force has been silent on this second outbreak.

Announced publicly March 1, on March 17 there is nothing on the Ag site even mentioning the second CWD outbreak.

Please, take a look at the dedicated, but well hidden off the Ag home page CWD information:

http://www.agriculture.state.pa.us/porta...pageid=138&

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:22 AM
New Arrival

One way to discredit this article completely is that we have never sold to any deer farm in Bedford county. After reading this I went through all paperwork and receipts and proved to myself no I never sold any deer to any deer farm in Bedford county.
Another thing that gets said later in the article is that purple 4 was found, killed, tested and found negative. It's alarming how that is overlooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 09:31 AM

Watched a interesting show yesterday about the cwd paranoia in Wisconsin after the cwd outbreak there. It took a audit of the cwd response plan that showed that it was unsuccessful and only served to unnecessarily fuel the cwd hype which hurt the sport of hunting in Wisconsin. Dr James kroll also was on the show debunking the many myths about cwd.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Freedom,

The GC / article is saying one thing. You another.

The rest of us are at the mercy of an information blackout. The lead agency in the CWD effort is silent, missing, and seemingly doesn't care, and surely doesn't take at least the public information aspect of the leadership role seriously.

I have no idea on what is correct or incorrect at this time. The history of the disease has me leaning in one direction. Saying deer farms haven't been the source or the leading source on transmission is not in dispute. The history and test results are there and available for all to investigate (nationally).

But at the state level, someone somewhere has a record saying there is a relationship between the two outbreaks now. Who do we believe?

Hopefully, you and others will attend the March 20 public meeting and make your case and ask the tough questions. As hopeful on my part, is that the press, electronic and print are there in mass to cover the meeting and the Q&A and information provided.

I will agree with many here, the greatest issue surrounding this disease is the lack of clear information amongst all parties and players.

In your personal situation - clearly, the PA Dept Ag is not on your side. Their silence and stonewalling only build public opposition to your business. Meanwhile, your twisting in the wind. March 1 to March 17 (they are not open yet today) and no public acknowledgement or mention on their website.

No updated information of any kind since January 18th of this year.

No updates or further news from the first outbreak.

Silence.

That allows folks like you and I to take sides and harden positions in the vacuum.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 AM
New Arrival

Blue tick I keep very good records of all deer I sell, aside from the records that are required I keep names address and phone numbers in my phone, computer and hard copy on the desk. I have no idea where they are saying my deer went in Bedford county to any farm or hunting preserve. I can tell you one thing for sure is that all my deer are accounted for.
One thing all this bad press is doing weather it's needed or not is only showing one side of the story. I agree with you about the silence but there is nothing I can do about that.
But also what this press is doing is fueling the radicals. I have had threatening calls emails and have countless times of people trespassing onto my property to "look" at my deer. All it would take is one guy to come in with bolt cutters and cut my fences which I have had threats of which makes no sence to me. If they are so worried about it why would they consider letting what they feel is the problem loose? Don't know and never will.
I will end this post in saying I personally am afraid of cwd for our wild deer as well as our states captive deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page