A bit concerning ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

A bit concerning ?

We all have heard about the CWD infected Deer found in Adams County, and it may be old news to some, but I just read (in PON), that the Deer originated (born) in Lycoming County. Lycoming County is not part of the CWD Zone, the area surrounding the infected site. Hunters taking Deer in the CWD Zone, can have them checked for CWD at a designated check station. If I were to take a Deer in that area, I would certainly have it tested prior to consuming it. But I found this quote, by David Wolfgang, Veterinarian in Penn State's College of Agricultural Sciences, a bit concerning.........

"According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is no evidence that CWD can be transferred to humans, but if I harvested a Deer near Williamsport, I would want to be sure it was disease free."

Now, this CWD testing will cost $75 per test, which would be paid of course, out of pocket by hunters in non-affected CWD zone areas. I'm fairly certain MOST hunters, even the one's that know the infected Deer was born in Lycoming, will not opt for the test. To that, I have a few questions. 1. Why is the area around where this Deer was born, not designated a CWD Zone so it can receive proper funding for hunter harvested deer to be tested. 2. How many of you would feel comfortable taking a Deer surrounding this Williamsport area, and consuming it without testing ? 3. Will this alter your hunting area choice ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Re: A bit concerning ?

Wasn't it mentioned on here that the only concern should be if you intended on consuming parts of the brain tissue and spinal cord and that the muscle tissue would be safe if prepared properly?

I'am not convinced how CWD could cross through the brain/blood barrier without affecting muscle tissue.

To answer one of your questions, right now I don't feel comfortalbe with taking any deer anywhere in the Central section of PA.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Part of the Community

The deer was born in lycoming county yes. Those farms including myself are quarinteened. A number of deer over the years at that farm and others have been tested and have come back negative for cwd.. I honestly believe you are fine to take any deer in lycoming county or anywhere else at this point. The deer the tested positive probably escaped and got infected by something whether it be wild deer, a dead elk from out west or could be anything. Hopefully they will find the link to it all. my question is Do all deer that come in contact with an infected animal then become infected.??? I have some information i will look into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question - Have any deer "farmers" been held legally/financially liable for the loss of wild deer anywhere ever?? As a business owner, it sounds like a liability that is taken on when starting such an operation. Seems like when CWD is found, there's deer "farms" involved a number of times.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Question - Have any deer "farmers" been held legally/financially liable for the loss of wild deer anywhere ever?? As a business owner, it sounds like a liability that is taken on when starting such an operation. Seems like when CWD is found, there's deer "farms" involved a number of times.
There is absolutely no way to hold a deer farm liable for infecting a wild herd. To me, it's like the chicken/egg deal. In other words, why couldn't the deer farmer file counter suit, saying a wild deer gave it to his herd, and took away his earning potential. Any good (or even not so good) attorney would eat that up and spit it out in court.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

If you don't mind me asking, what does the quarantine entail ? I'm assuming, it's a moratorium on transporting/selling right ? Do they only euthanize the entire herd if one happens to display symptoms, and subsequently tests positive ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 08:25 PM
Part of the Community

Basically No deer in or out of your property. only way to come off quarantine as of now is to kill your deer and have them tested.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Quote:
There is absolutely no way to hold a deer farm liable for infecting a wild herd. To me, it's like the chicken/egg deal. In other words, why couldn't the deer farmer file counter suit, saying a wild deer gave it to his herd, and took away his earning potential. Any good (or even not so good) attorney would eat that up and spit it out in court.
Excellent point! I think potentially the deer farmer could file the initial suit if he had his herd tested, which I guess can't happen if you have to kill them first to test them. Not advocating it, just wondering about it as a "reality"? in a suit-happy world when there are "livelihoods" and profits involved.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 AM
Sage

The state Department of Ag, and the federal USDA both have rules and procedures if an infectious disease were to infect domesticated herds.

Think back to the Mad Cow Disease discoveries several years ago in the US. Entire herds were slaughtered. One example. There are other diseases that would mandate quarantine or worse quickly wit huge fines if ignored.

This is no different. Though the inital question is on liability if the disease infects the wild herd, at this point the PA Depart of Ag is not mandating a no move rule for deer in the state on captive farms. The ability for deer farmers to continue to buy, sell, trade, or swap deer without penalty is an invitation for the potential spread of this disease much further around this state and into other states.

However, my larger point is, like mad cow disease that is similar to CWD, the response on the state and federal level was swift and sure. Herds were removed from the face of the earth and tested to ensure the safety of the food supply and the larger cattle / meat product industry.

Here we have the introduction of the disease into this state from a known trackable source and nothing is being done to stop the spread unless there was some interaction at some point on farms. Hunting in PA is a multi billion dollar industry. The captive deer farms in PA are also a big dollar addition to the states economy.

The question is: why is the Department of Ad not taking this seriously as they would a similar disease in the cattle, swine or avian industries?

A cattle, swine, or avian farmer knows that his entire operation could come under quarantine or be killed off at the direction of the Ag Department if certain diseases are present. They further understand that if other diseases are found, some stock could never be sold if they had the potential for health issues in other herds or health of the consuming public.

Not so with CWD.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 02:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by holedigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Quote:
Excellent point! I think potentially the deer farmer could file the initial suit if he had his herd tested, which I guess can't happen if you have to kill them first to test them. Not advocating it, just wondering about it as a "reality"? in a suit-happy world when there are "livelihoods" and profits involved.

Hard to prove if you ask me.

The GC has had a very active and certified program for CWD resting in this state for about a decade.

No cases of CWD in the wild or in captive herds have been detected in PA - even in areas adjacent to other states with infection. Even them, the Adams county farm is hours away from the closest other out of state location with infection.

It would be a huge leap to accept the wild herd infection angle. Even in court with a lawyer, the claim has to be backed up with factual evidence and in a case like this, expert witnesses would need to make the claim and defend it. The evidence just isn't there and experts like the money reputation garners. So, few if any would get on board with a basically or far fetched claim.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page