Pa. Game Commission launches $10 million partnership to fight CWD, other wildlife dis - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Pa. Game Commission launches $10 million partnership to fight CWD, other wildlife dis

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2019/...m0Rl1VHCP8p2Ng

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has detailed a five-year partnership with the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine to address some of the worst wildlife diseases in the state.

The partnership, called the Pennsylvania Wildlife Futures Program, is a science-based, wildlife health initiative that will increase disease surveillance, management and research to better protect wildlife. The program will address the likes of Chronic Wasting Disease, White-nose syndrome and the West Nile virus.

White-nose syndrome is a condition named after the distinct fungus that grows around the muzzles and wings of hibernating bats.

More: It's a scary situation for these 3 endangered bat species in Pennsylvania

“We’re global now. New diseases are going to come and go. We’d much rather be at the front of that than having to deal with the consequences after the fact,” Game Commission Executive Director Bryan Burhans said. “This program will help tremendously because of the laser focus that is put just on those diseases.”

The Pennsylvania Wildlife Futures Program is aiming to streamline the Chronic Wasting Disease testing process for hunters. The turnaround time for a test result will be 7 to 10 days, rather than weeks or sometimes months. Hunters will also be able to track test results online.

More: Chronic Wasting Disease management areas expanded by over 2,000 square miles in Pa.

“A benefit of this is that we don’t tell the University of Pennsylvania what to say. They’re researchers and they develop their own message,” Burhans said. “Some hunters don’t always want to believe the Game Commission because we don’t always have great news to share. We’re using a credible source and that's important because there is so much misinformation out there about CWD."

The program will dedicate 12 employees, one of them working full-time out of the Game Commission’s Harrisburg office to address wildlife diseases. This will provide more thorough disease documentation while allowing agency biologists to divert their attention from disease issues back to managing wildlife populations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Glad to hear they are trying to keep ahead of this. Especially that they are streamlining the CWD testing for hunters. I hope PA is the state that finds a cure for these diseases.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Glad to hear they are trying to keep ahead of this. Especially that they are streamlining the CWD testing for hunters. I hope PA is the state that finds a cure for these diseases.
I just hope somebody finds a cure, regardless of who it is or who get's the credit.
jimbridger likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter Co. Joe View Post
I just hope somebody finds a cure, regardless of who it is or who get's the credit.
I agree. I just meant that the other states, where CWD is present, have been unsuccessful in finding a cure so I hope PA can get a handle on it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:05 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
How would they administer a cure to a wild population of deer?A cure would help deer farmers but it wouldn't do squat for a wild population.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:58 PM

Gotta admire the PGC for undertaking this venture. Sitting on your hands won’t ever get anyone anywhere. Don’t see a lot of other agencies putting their dollars into the problem solving business.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 06:44 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie View Post
Gotta admire the PGC for undertaking this venture. Sitting on your hands won’t ever get anyone anywhere. Don’t see a lot of other agencies putting their dollars into the problem solving business.
I my eyes it's their responsibility, what's to admire. For one the USP has and is raising funds for research.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:45 AM

Should include an international grant writer.
jimbridger likes this.

TENPT
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:09 PM

It's good......very good to see the Game Commission spend .....what was that called??.....Oh "excessive.....un-accounted for.....bla, bla, bla" on such a program.

Me thinks the PGC had plans such as this in the making when De-squrits-all issued his "report." You don't just make up such a program in a few months.

MHO
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
I my eyes it's their responsibility, what's to admire. For one the USP has and is raising funds for research.
Not in my eyes it isn't. It should be the Department of Agricultures responsibility. The deer farms are where most if not all CWD originated in Pennsylvania, and seeing how the DOA controls those farms it's their problem.
I sure hope that all the venison that is sold to the high priced restaurants is checked for possible CWD when slaughtered , but I doubt it.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page