Info - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Info

Not trying to start a fight, just pass along information. Illinois and Wisconsin both found cwd around the same time. Both stated sharp shooting in the areas that it was found. In 2007 Wisconsin stopped their sharp shooting program because of pushback from sportsmen. This graph shows the outcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DA705F6E-DC6C-4352-99F2-DE194A560662_1551469107585.jpeg (139.0 KB, 43 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:24 PM

Thanks for posting this. IMO the PGC can't cave to hunters & politicians and stick with the science. It makes sense if you reduce deer numbers in the hot spots it will reduce the spread. Also can't believe there isn't a total ban on baiting and putting out salt/minerals. Of course the deer farming and transport of domestic deer should be banned but the PGC can't control that.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM
The Man

There is the answer in black and white or should I say green and blue.

Thanks for posting so we can see what has been working as opposed to what we think will or will not work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage

One of my HS buds and lond time hunting amigo, moved to Dane Co. Wisconsin in the late 80s. When CWD was found out there, he sent me numerous news links about how hard they were hitting the deer around there, in an attempt to quickly lower deer numbers.

Don't recall the exact numbers, but they killed thousands of deer those first few years in response to CWD and WI hunters are still sore about it.

IIRC, you could get all the extra doe tags you wanted and they were literally hauling away dump truck loads of dead deer for disposal, in one of the news links he sent me back then. Far as I can recall, that would've been probably 2002 or thereafter?

Thinning deer in areas that are proven CWD hot spots, is what PGC is trying to do. It "worked" in one area, but landowners in the new areas they wanted to do that in, refused to go along with it.

At a meeting I was at last summer, one of the PGC people at the meeting said then, that they were not getting any cooperation in the new DMA for targeted culls.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 05:57 PM

I'm surprised that it matters that much what the land owners want. The deer don't belong to them and the reduction is for the protection of the entire herd.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Part of the Community

I wouldn’t think that 14 percent is that high of a percentage. In recent years it shows signs of dropping in wisonsin. I believe this needs to be studied more in depth before just wiping out the deer herd, for really no apparent reasoning.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
I wouldn’t think that 14 percent is that high of a percentage. In recent years it shows signs of dropping in wisonsin. I believe this needs to be studied more in depth before just wiping out the deer herd, for really no apparent reasoning.

Study the Illinois results long and hard. Waugh!
Waynzee likes this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent20 View Post
Do you want to eat that 14 out of 100 deer that mat be infected? What is your solution? Wait until it is 85 % infection? It is easy to throw out that kind of opinion, unless you are responsible to stop the epidemic.
R. S. B., bohunr and Dogface like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Do you want to eat that 14 out of 100 deer that mat be infected? What is your solution? Wait until it is 85 % infection? It is easy to throw out that kind of opinion, unless you are responsible to stop the epidemic.
I would say the odds are pretty slim you would harvest a deer with cwd. And if your worried just get it tested before it’s consumed. I really think it’s an over reaction at this point. And the graph shows it’s naturally decreasing. I would say it is very far from any type of epidemic in any state even in the highest densities of cwd.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Sage

You are entitled to you wrong opinion. CWD has the potential to end deer hunting in the U.S. as we know it. It isn't a common cold it is a disease that is caused by a protein, (prion) that cannot be killed. I suggest you do some research before you decide to pontificate on the dangers or lack thereof and end result of CWD in deer in our state.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page