Missouri Shoots Down Captive Deer Herd Operations - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Missouri Shoots Down Captive Deer Herd Operations

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...ampaign=LEEDCC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage

Perhaos we sportsmen should find an attorney who would take a case pro bono through the court systems to our SC and if we win push to close all cervid farming operations in the state and prohibit importing any pen raised deer into the state.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage

Didn't NY also ban the raising/transportation of captive cervids, after they had a case or two of CWD a few years ago?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 09:39 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyF View Post
Didn't NY also ban the raising/transportation of captive cervids, after they had a case or two of CWD a few years ago?

No. My SIL's neighbor has a deer farm in NY. Do they monitor him?.....youbettchatheydo!.
Tim62988 likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

I guess they are afraid of CWD. I think that when CWD became known in domestic herds, all deer movement should have been stopped between farms. Kind of late now for PA. A farm free of CWD, is not likely to get CWD, in the future, if no new blood is brought in. We now have free roaming wild deer in PA spreading prions everyday. I consider the free ranging wild deer to be of the greatest concern. So closing all deer farms in PA will not eliminate CWD, it may slow the spread. A ban a few years back would have helped.
OAWC likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage

It would do one thing, punish the people who brought it here and introduced it into our wild deer! That would be a good start.
bohunr likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I feel like its closing the barn doors after the cows escaped at this point
bohunr and OAWC like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage

It is, but it will still hurt the people who caused the problem.
bohunr likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:23 AM

there is a captive elk farm in Stoneboro, PA called the Bugle point elk ranch. i wonder if they have been checked or tested ?

i agree, all captive farms should be closed or forced to double fence to keep the wild deer from touching those in the pen.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Part of the Community

any LEGAL cervid operation is checked & tested. my understanding is if a cervid dies on your operation whether it be old age, injury, or a hunting facility the animal is legally required to be tested for CWD

I believe a majority of the LEGAL cervid operators double fence, they don't want their high value deer getting out! so a double fence helps to keep their deer in and wild deer out if a tree comes down, not fool proof but the cervid operators want to keep CWD at bay also. they also can't control the public who decides to trespass and cut a fence.

the reason I stress legal in the first 2 comments is I would wonder how many people have illegal deer? I knew of at least a few farmers in the past that would find a fawn and throw it in a pen until the deer got bigger and jumped over their fence, and i'm sure there are people that have had "pet" deer that are putting more wild deer at risk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page