51 test positive for CWD - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:24 PM

since the CDC says not to eat the meat from CWD infected deer, would the PGC be giving these hunters another tag and allowing them to take a deer now ? or give them an extra tag for next year ?

they do give you another tag if your deer is not fit for consumption right ?

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 09:38 PM
The Man

The number grows every year. I really hate to see stuff like this.
bohunr and LONZO like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 AM
The Man

My local WCO in conversation 2 weeks ago said he had to contact 3 hunters for testing positive in Bedford County. I heard rumor one was with in 2 miles of my property.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:03 AM
Sage

Bohunr, It would appear the testing will not be done until the deer season is over, that would preclude another tag being given to the hunters who killed a positive deer if they wanted one. The majority of the testing is yes to be done. This is what is called a conundrum, The CDC says there is no evidence CWD is transmissible to humans on one hand, and on the other, they advise against eating meat from a positive deer.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:22 AM

they say not to eat the meat of a positive CWD animal because they do not know if or when it will be transmittable. its a liability issue. they say "ok to eat" you get CWD they get sued.

no one really know when it will jump the barrier, but it will. the Government should make this a top priority as a risk to national security. CWD makes that jump, the entire food chain will become deadly to humans.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage

I am afraid you are right, it is not if but when it jumps species. Up until 2007 they were sure that Reindeer could not get CWD. They were wrong, Norway has either done it or is in the process of killing an entire herd of 2000 Reindeer. I am curious to see if these places like Hershey Park that have Reindeer shipped in from out of state for a Santa's village will continue to be allowed to do so.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:12 AM
The Man

I hate to see CWD in any part of PA, but the ones I really hate to see are the ones in Clearfield and Jefferson Counties. That is getting awful close to the elk range. I know there are those who will say "let all the elk die." But I am not one of them. I love to see the elk and believe that they are one of our greatest resources that we have. It would be a shame to lose the elk hunt. Again, there are those who will scoff at that statement, but it is obvious to me that anyone who speaks that way about the elk hunt has just not participated in it and do not know what they are talking about.
I am afraid that it is just a matter of time until it recaches the elk as well as the deer.
Laylow and Marcus99 like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage

I am glad I am not just starting out as a young deer hunter. I am not sure that the hunters in this state are taking CWD as seriously as we should be. As for what could be done to slow the progression, I don't have a clue, but shutting down and depopulating every deer and elk farm in the state would be a start. Other states have already done so.
R. S. B., bohunr, LONZO and 4 others like this.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 AM
The Man

I would be totally on board with that. It was a deer farm that initiated CWD near the elk range in the first place. They deserve whatever they get by bringing this crap here in the first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page