Former GC Vet: Vermont Deer Lure Ban - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Former GC Vet: Vermont Deer Lure Ban

One aspect of our state’s battle against the spread of chronic wasting disease that has never made sense to me is that we wait until after deer in an area are found to be infected with the disease before we ban hunters from using deer-urine based scents, lures and attractants there. That seems stupid to me.

Until an outbreak is discovered – even though scientists suspect that urine from CWD-infected deer have played a role in spreading the disease from Colorado east to Pennsylvania and beyond over the last 50 years – hunters are free to sprinkle and dump deer urine orginating from who knows where, wherever they please.

Actually, some states and Canadian provinces, such as Alaska, Ontario and Nova Scotia, have banned the use of deer urine in an effort to keep chronic wasting disease outside of their boundaries. Even though it remains unclear if hunters using deer urine have distributed the prions that cause the always-fatal-to-deer-elk-and-moose disease – it seems likely, and they’re taking no chances.

Former Pennsylvania Game Commission wildlife veterinarian Walt Cottrell first urged game commissioners here to ban the use of deer urine by hunters in 2009 – before CWD showed up in the Keystone State. But commissioners never really considered his request, apparently believing such a ban was too controversial.

Even today, with chronic wasting disease infecting free-ranging deer in our state, some are cynical about the threat posed by the use of deer urine. Current commissioner Brian Hoover, of Delaware County, in particular, has repeatedly made it clear that he is skeptical that banning the use of deer urine by hunters would be worth the economic disruption it would cause.

This spring it became clear that Dr. Cottrell succeeded in persuading another state’s wildlife officials about the risk of deer urine use, even though he failed with Pennsylvania leaders.

In late April news reached us that the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Board had voted to ban the possession and use by hunters of natural lures based on deer urine or other fluids, beginning in 2016. But what caught our eye in the release was a reference to wildlife veterinarian Walter Cottrell.

“Dr. Cottrell has worked closely with the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department as a contract wildlife veterinarian since his retirement as wildlife veterinarian for Pennsylvania,” the release stated. “He presented on the science of CWD to the Fish and Wildlife Board at its April 22 meeting.”

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cottrell told Vermont officials that deer urine lures are not tested for CWD, nor is it possible to track and recall bottles of lure that have been sold from a facility that later tests positive for the disease.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Captive deer populations have been implicated in the spread of CWD in several states, Cottrell noted. While many captive deer facilities claim that their facilities are '”CWD-free,” urine lures from different sources are commonly mixed, so hunters are unable to tell the origin of their product.

The first case of CWD in Pennsylvania was recorded in a captive deer facility that was considered CWD-free and was selling deer urine lures online, Cottrell pointed out,</span>

Therefore, implementing strong preventative measures is the only tool available to combat this disease, Cottrell said, adding that banning natural deer urine lures is one of the few things wildlife managers can do to prevent the spread of CWD into Vermont, or anywhere else.

But it won’t happen anytime soon in Pennsylvania.

http://www.outdoornews.com/May-2015/A-fo...acts-CWD-fight/

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Re: Former GC Vet: Vermont Deer Lure Ban

Why not require all deer urine processors to have their product tested for prions before marketing them? They would need to send the results to GC or Dept. of AG before putting lures on the shelf.

benchrest
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 07:52 AM
The Man

People usually have to learn the hard way. It wouldn't be a "controversy" if people hadn't got use to using deer urine for attracting deer on a deer hunt. Deer urine been available at sporting goods stores for decades. Why I remember twenty years ago, a co worker stopped at a captive deer farm to buy deer urine, the cost which was too expensive for me. Moving from spot to spot made me a poor candidate to use the deer urine.
Using deer urine usually means the hunters stay in one place, reducing the necessity of getting in better shape. Now the ideal hunt for some is sitting on a tree stand, overlooking a feeder, watched by a trail cam. In some states, such is now legal.

Banning the use of deer urine to attract deer would change the way some hunters hunt. It's not just the deer urine, it is the effect on hunting methods of some hunters. Therein lies the big problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter
Why not require all deer urine processors to have their product tested for prions before marketing them? They would need to send the results to GC or Dept. of AG before putting lures on the shelf.

There is no test for the prions in a live deer or the urine. Having a so called CWD (free) certified herd is no guarantee CWD doesn't exist within the herd.

The only test for CWD requires taking part of the brain stem for testing.

No urine can be tested for CWD. No test exists.

The herd certification relies on visual inspection of the herd, overall, and over time. No deaths with a positive, and no signs of the disease provide the herd certification.

Second, urine is imported form out of state farms as well. So PA could require all sorts of things for the PA deer farmers to sell urine. But we would be an island in the national supply chain.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:50 PM
The Man

There is no proof that urine even spreads it.

Living the life one day at a time.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM

I agree with Doctor Cottrell. I‘ve been saying for well over a decade that any state that doesn’t prohibit the use of ALL urine based cervid lure is being extremely foolish and reckless with the future of our resources.

That comment fully includes all of our past and present Commissioners. But, I also think it is now way too late and that horse has already not only left the barn but has been gone so long it has become a lost cause that can’t be reversed.

I applaud Vermont for being more proactive and responsible with their resources than Pennsylvania was.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterknapp16
There is no proof that urine even spreads it.
I believe that has been very well proven and documented.

In fact once the urine from a CWD infected deer hits the ground it becomes much more reactive then it was with just nose to nose contact. I don’t remember the exact percentage but if I am not mistaken it was at least a hundred times more volatile once it was in the soil.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 PM
The Man

I thought this became law last year in Pa. or was it just in my CWD-2 area?
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:53 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Hey buddy want to buy some real deer lure (says the shady guy opening his trench coat). Its the good stuff, real pee.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
I thought this became law last year in Pa. or was it just in my CWD-2 area?
In any CWD Disease management area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page