CWD and transporting your deer harvest - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

CWD and transporting your deer harvest

A guy I know who is a well seasoned hunter told me about a supposed new law that will be in place this fall for transporting a deer to another area to be butchered, saying it is now illegal and the deer must be butchered where it was killed or somewhere close by? Is there any truth to this? If so, what is the exact law? I haven't seen anything on the game commission website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: CWD and transporting your deer harvest

Check the hunting book under CWD.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:15 AM
The Man

I would search hard. Last year I did my homework very well calling Harrisburg and having extent conversation of what to do since my area is CWD-2. I always brought mine home very convenient since I have a gantry crane and winch in my garage, I wanted time to make provisions at my camp for proper and leagal process. The one thing Harrisburg told to do was bury the parts, early muzzy season I did that a real pita. Later I called Huntington office seeking info about dumpsters that RWJ on here told me about. I told the guy burying was a pita and would not happen in rifle season when ground was frozen. He told me I was wrong of what I did by buring the parts I should of disposd of them in different manner. I told him where I was told this and he said they was wrong of telling me this. Now if you cant get correct info from Harrisburg office this is a real cluster. I than called Harrisburg back and re told my story. After the 3rd person there I spoke to since I kept on getting shuffled finally said " well I guess if Huntington office told you this do what they said. I realized when the executive order came out it was going to be a give and take thing but I put more of an effort than most in to. I made up my mind if I would get cited I would eat a lot of attorney fee's to stand my ground. This is one time I can say PGC could of done a lot better job at thinking this thru. I was told take it to the landfill, Bedford county does not have one to my knowledge after talking to several people. Than the other option was to put it out for your garbage man to pick up. I don't have and cant get garbage service at my cabin. Finally I found a dumpster location approved by PGC at a trash business location. Its only 45 minute drive from my cabin and you could drop off Mon-Fri from 8 am to 4 pm. Again what a joke, they sold 13k tags at 6.50 a pop going straight to game commission they could afford several dumpsters in many locations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:11 AM
The Man

Ha, I'll have to make sure I'm carrying my butcher knives with me, when going out of state. Have a lot of practice butchering deer alone.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
I would search hard. Last year I did my homework very well calling Harrisburg and having extent conversation of what to do since my area is CWD-2. I always brought mine home very convenient since I have a gantry crane and winch in my garage, I wanted time to make provisions at my camp for proper and leagal process. The one thing Harrisburg told to do was bury the parts, early muzzy season I did that a real pita. Later I called Huntington office seeking info about dumpsters that RWJ on here told me about. I told the guy burying was a pita and would not happen in rifle season when ground was frozen. He told me I was wrong of what I did by buring the parts I should of disposd of them in different manner. I told him where I was told this and he said they was wrong of telling me this. Now if you cant get correct info from Harrisburg office this is a real cluster. I than called Harrisburg back and re told my story. After the 3rd person there I spoke to since I kept on getting shuffled finally said " well I guess if Huntington office told you this do what they said. I realized when the executive order came out it was going to be a give and take thing but I put more of an effort than most in to. I made up my mind if I would get cited I would eat a lot of attorney fee's to stand my ground. This is one time I can say PGC could of done a lot better job at thinking this thru. I was told take it to the landfill, Bedford county does not have one to my knowledge after talking to several people. Than the other option was to put it out for your garbage man to pick up. I don't have and cant get garbage service at my cabin. Finally I found a dumpster location approved by PGC at a trash business location. Its only 45 minute drive from my cabin and you could drop off Mon-Fri from 8 am to 4 pm. Again what a joke, they sold 13k tags at 6.50 a pop going straight to game commission they could afford several dumpsters in many locations.
IRRC last year it wasn't worded very well in the digest at all of what to do and it created alot of confusion. It will be interesting to see in a couple weeks when the new books are out with the licenses if they did a better job this year. Fortunately for me I am currently out of the CWD areas.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 01:08 PM
The Man

I knew when the order came out it was going to be a give and take. Since I was in the heart of it I was not going to be the an example made out of. That is why I took the time and started making calls. I should of knew better any time you call an agency and they have to ask someone or keep transferring you there is a glitch. I have learned belonging to many organization's communication is very important. After I got it down I could make it work and had it better than many other nr's or residents that was actually now a nr hunting this area. My big question was a large track of state forest sitting just inside Pa. that borders Md.. Its hosts many hunters from Md., W.Va, Va., and many Pa. residents from out of the area. At 4:00 pm a hunter harvests a deer what are they supposed to do. No dumpster close fo disposal if he cleaned it in woods. Closest butcher shop 25 miles away on back roads most residents could find. It created a big problem and I knew several people said the heck with it and took them home. Maryland had this problem few years ago at Green Ridge State Forest. Our DNR erected a lean 2 that you could go and skin your deer and cut up. They had a dumpster for parts than had a devise to burn the parts. With 13000 special tags just for this area, netting $84,500.00 payed straight to PGC they could of done a better job.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 08:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofstater
I knew when the order came out it was going to be a give and take. Since I was in the heart of it I was not going to be the an example made out of. That is why I took the time and started making calls. I should of knew better any time you call an agency and they have to ask someone or keep transferring you there is a glitch. I have learned belonging to many organization's communication is very important. After I got it down I could make it work and had it better than many other nr's or residents that was actually now a nr hunting this area. My big question was a large track of state forest sitting just inside Pa. that borders Md.. Its hosts many hunters from Md., W.Va, Va., and many Pa. residents from out of the area. At 4:00 pm a hunter harvests a deer what are they supposed to do. No dumpster close fo disposal if he cleaned it in woods. Closest butcher shop 25 miles away on back roads most residents could find. It created a big problem and I knew several people said the heck with it and took them home. Maryland had this problem few years ago at Green Ridge State Forest. Our DNR erected a lean 2 that you could go and skin your deer and cut up. They had a dumpster for parts than had a devise to burn the parts. With 13000 special tags just for this area, netting $84,500.00 payed straight to PGC they could of done a better job.
Great point...the PGC should take notes and stop acting as if they could care less. The first year they were really into making rules to deal with the parts, before they put out a lot of containers but cut that number way low, now they act as if it isn't a big deal.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Part of the Community

I worked with a guy that harvested a muledeer buck in wy. He had the deer deboned and butchered in wy. brought it back home, the pgc took all the meat, tested it found it clean of cwd then threw it all away. told him he was lucky to get his horns back
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:46 AM
The Man

We can sum it up as bad communication, etc. I hope lesson learned and they move forward to work out the bugs. Like I said earlier little give and take but ill be danged if I would pay a fine for burring parts as told by main office. I actually didn't think it made any sense my theory hard frozen ground and disease spreading in ground but that's what the main office told me. Imagine 50 hunters with shovels on state ground trying to do this and a Wco pulled up, since you cant dig on state ground. . Like I said the money was there could of been a couple dozen of dumpsters around the county. I actually talked to the people in Bedford at the waste place where there was a special dumpster for parts. She said very few hunters actually brought any in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:56 AM
The Man

I never gave any thought of bringing in since I live in Md but I guess it could get sticky. Im surprised about the meat being taken since Pa. policy is to de-bone. I only gave concern to taking out. I thought also if you wanted a mount it had to go to a taxi with in the area. I think that would stink since I don't know any in my Pa. area and liked the taxi I us here in Md.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page