Good beginner detector? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Good beginner detector?

This sounds like an interesting hobby now that I am semi-retired and have some time. How much money do you need to spend on a detector to get started? What brands are the best to use? I don't want to spend much as a beginner until I decide whether I like the hobby a lot. Any advice is appreciated.

You just shot an unarmed man. Well he should have armed himself!!! Clint Eastwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 11:47 AM

Re: Good beginner detector?

You are going to get all kinds of answers but for a true beginner id stick with a Garrett ace250, a whites classic series or a Tesoro. Get to know your machine, digging proper plugs and then decide if you want to get deeper into it....and the ground!
I picked up my whites classic for $125 and then dropped another $125 on a Garrett pro pointer which IMO is a needed item. $30 for knee pads and a shovel and I was set.
One year later I upgraded to the mine lab etrac, caught fire and Havent looked back yet!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Almost what Game Chaser said.

The Pro Pointer is a must-have item. Iím donít think headphones are included with an Ace250, so if buying after-market headphones anyway, you may as well go with an Ace350, which includes headphones.

I donít use knee pads Ė but then of courseÖÖÖ.Iím tough! Baaaaahahahaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 01:57 PM

Not to be rude but this question comes up so many times it's like a virus.It's really hard to give anyone advice as to what machine to get, simply because everyone has different types of hunting they prefer to pursue,decide on what you want to find and where you plan on finding it,decide on a price point your comfortable with spending and don't forget those much needed accessories to go along with it that will add up to your total cost,once you have that all figured out start looking at your machines and other things to decide what you can afford and go from there.

rich battistoni
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 AM

My Ace 250 did come with headphones. Very pleased with it so far.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbat
Not to be rude but this question comes up so many times it's like a virus.It's really hard to give anyone advice as to what machine to get, simply because everyone has different types of hunting they prefer to pursue,decide on what you want to find and where you plan on finding it,decide on a price point your comfortable with spending and don't forget those much needed accessories to go along with it that will add up to your total cost,once you have that all figured out start looking at your machines and other things to decide what you can afford and go from there.
I agree.
And, if I was starting out again I would save some money by buying a used detector and use it until I decide if detecting was for me. Buy one from a detecting shop and you'll get a deal on a reliable machine. PM me if you want references on who to trust buying from.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Hildenbrand
My Ace 250 did come with headphones. Very pleased with it so far.
Ok, I didn't know it came with them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 PM

any detector you can afford is a good beginning detector. as with most things you get what you pay for in a detector. basically the more you spend, the more information you will have to make a decision whether or not to dig.

to the guys who say dig it all...you must have a lot of time on your hands.

I like the tesoros for ease of use. They have a lifetime warranty for the original owner...and their least expensive machine which is less than $200 new, is a simple and powerful machine and it will easily fetch near what you pay for it, should you decide detecting isnt for you.

Best of luck to you!

Back out West...home at last!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Here's another thing to consider when buying a machine with all the bells and whistles,although they may be useful tools once you get the hang of how to use them and when to use them,it could also discourage you to the point of frustration therefore causing you to give up before even learning anything about it's use.

rich battistoni
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I started with a used Fisher F2. Wow what a great lil machine. It has alot of power,deep searching MD> I would look hard at the Fisher F2. I have seen the for a fair price and you can sell it and get your money back. I paid 175 for a machine,pin pointer,shovel,finds pouch! I sold the MD and got 160.00 for it! I used for just about a year, ya see I jumped all in a got a few other machines.

I am kinda newbie but check out the internet for used machines, buy from an established company, Fisher,Garnett,whites,minelab,etc

If you ever up my way Bucks County, Shoot me a PM I will hook up with ya and let ya swing one on my MD. I own Fisher cz 7a pro,Tesoro silver Umax,whites Prizm v.
Koz

will hunt for food....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page