How long did it take...... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

How long did it take......

for you to find a silver coin. I've been putting a lot of hours in since I got my detector a few weeks ago. I found one gold ring, over $30 in clad, 27 wheat pennies (19 from on location) and four indian head pennies (1878, 1882, 1888 and 1899) but I have yet to find even a silver dime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:24 PM

Re: How long did it take......

I'd take indian heads over silver dimes every day of the week, but that's just me. If you are finding them, along with wheats, you are doing it right. You just didn't swing your coil over a silver yet, but you will. Keep hitting those places that have produced oldies.
To answer your question, I was two months into it before finding my first silver, a merc from 1920. After that it all clicked and I found over 30 in the two months that followed that.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 11:40 PM

if you are finding the old pennys you're in a good spot. They're their. maybe work the area alittle slower. once you get the sound of them you'll start knocking them off. Good luck.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Congrats on your great finds.If your finding these types of coins then your doing the right thing.I have a spot I hunt very hard and was finding all kinds of wheaties and no silver,so I said to myself,self there has got to be some silver in here and guess what there was.What I did was move at a snails pace and even though I hunted this place several and I mean several times,by slowing down and listening to every faint signal the place seemed like I never even hunted it.I pulled war nickles,mercs and even IH and even more wheaties and this was in one small area.It's a very small park but it has treated me quite well with a little bit of everything.So my advice to you would be move slow as you can possibly deal with,listen to those faint signals,dig those iffy ones once in awhile and even lower your Discr.a little and I can almost bet where your finding those coins you have listed,your gonna find silver.HH

rich battistoni
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 02:45 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I to have yet to find any silver. I have found 10 wheats,one Indian and a large cent,one buff nickle. (all from same house) OMG!

I like to crap my pants when I pulled the large cent out of the ground!! 1847 in great condition! I have only been swinging a few months! But no silver.....

will hunt for food....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 03:54 AM

Go to a coin shop and buy some old silver coins . Place them 2-4 inches in the soil and see how your machine responds .....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 11:15 AM

gotta put the coil over em to find em. when you do, they will pop out of the ground just like the pennies do.

Bluedog

Back out West...home at last!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

About 10 years ago I bought a new detector and on the way home with it I stopped at my brother's house to show him. We put it together, installed batteries, and went into his front yard at night with a flashlight to try it out. First beep, first dig, out came a 1957 dime. That was total 100% luck. Since then nothing has been that easy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
for you to find a silver coin. I've been putting a lot of hours in since I got my detector a few weeks ago
I love this statement...just brings a smile to my face!

Silver coins are kinda like the easy gold that was found way back...the easy pickings are gone, they are not replenishing ...so if you do get in a spot where you can find some silver coinage...enjoy it. I have used machines from the cheapest to some of the most expensive, and quite honestly they all find silver...but it has to be in the ground...and you have to know your detector. I dont know how many hours you can put in in a couple weeks, but it will take you more time than that to really learn your machine.

Keep after it, and enjoy the hobby for what it is...uncovering history...its one very rewarding hobby, I can promise you that.

BlueDog

Back out West...home at last!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page