Opening Day Archery find - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Opening Day Archery find

The past few weeks I had some friends of mine talk about and share some of artifacts that they have found over the years. It kinda caught my interest so I figured I would start keeping a sharper eye out for old stone tools arrow heads and what not while I'm out hunting. So this past Saturday while I was walking through a cut corn field to my stand I spotted a odd looking rock. It look as though I had my first find. So I stuck it in my pocket to show to a "expert". He determined it to be some sort of tool to possibly be used as a nut cracker at one point. Cool! Oh and by the way I didn't see any deer that evening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Opening Day Archery find

nice find!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:44 PM
The Man

It might be something, and it might not....Water worn stones often take on shapes that makes us think they were "made" that way by some man...I have one that looks just like a gigantic spear head, but it was not knapped or worked, just got that way from the erosion of a thousand years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Big Ken, it's hard to disagree with you since I know very little about this stuff. The tapered sides are actually flat and almost make a edge. Plus this was found in the middle of a field with no creeks or streams near by.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 02:30 AM
Regular Visitor

bbd, the fact that you found the possible artifact in a field with no creeks or streams nearby does point in the direction of an artifact. Looks like a hammer stone to me. Common artifact on prehistoric sites. The cortex looks pecked but I would have to see it in person. Go back to the field at another time and look very closely to see if you see any small flakes of stone. In your area of PA you might find quartz, rhyolite, and/or quartzite. There are other materials as well but those are the most common. I'm not that far from you about 1 hour so if you find more I would be happy to id your finds and record your site. Happy hunting!!

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page