Native American artifact? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Native American artifact?

Found this today....I don't think it is a tool....but a piece that tools were made from maybe?? Can clearly see it was knapped...

Thoughts? Any info or guesses...age, who used it, what it was used as etc? Bonus points if you have an idea of where it was found without prior knowledge of where I actually am....

The shape of the knapped portion looks like maybe a point was knapped from it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM

Re: Native American artifact?

Indigenous people would have used it for any manner of things from a hide scraper to a knife. They generally didn't waste good flint. The cool thing about it is it probably predates modern "Indians" by a good bit. How does it fit in your hand?

I know where you are so I won't let it slip.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I know absolutely next to nothing about artifacts...I've read a bit...but met a coworker that loves arch hunting...we haven't gotten to go out together but from brief conversation I picked up a enough to learn a bit about fire cracked rock and a few places he knows or arch sites...so I went to see what I could find on my own....and found that...only the flat 1/4 back edge was sticking up...I spotted it and knew it wasn't a "normal" rock...

Really could been a cutting tool...its smaller than what I've seen...but fits nice between your thumb and fingers...the shape of the knapped edge being shaped as such it almost looks like a point would fit right in there...but you're right...good rock isn't easy to come by and that piece likely wasn't discarded and was likely used for something....

I have a few more pics I will get posted of other finds...

Planning a rock hunting date in one spot we can only go to right before a rain so our tracks are washed out....

I wanna start hunting at home now that I know a little more....

I have mixed feelings on "collecting" and haven't crossed that bridge...its amazing finding and holding such a piece of history...I'd love to keep stuff and have a collection...might collect at home where most will be lost due to development etc..as it would also be nice to display and pass on my knowledge (as I gain it)...

The one spot we wanna goto is absolutely full of stuff...literally buckets and buckets of fire cracked rock on the surface...I cant wait!

I know from reading that some materials/designs etc are easily identified to certain areas...I don't know enough about that yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 12:56 PM

I found a piece a few years ago that is only about 2 inches long. The edge is clearly worked and it fits perfectly and comfortably in the thumb,index and middle finger of my right hand. Holding it in those three fingers gives you full control of it. I like to think of it as the small pocket knife of its time.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
The Man

The chert looks like something from western Pa. which is actually part of the Ohio River Valley
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My father in law has been arrowhead hunting for many years. He is away right now but I will show him your pictures when he gets back. I would think he will know what it is.

Here are a few of his finds.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Tracker, that is an amazing collection !!

Ken...I will let the cat out of the bag....I am in northern Michigan...on lake Michigan....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
The Man

A few of mine....

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

ken, i saw a old post with a bunch of your pics....simply amazing...

i live right near the Ohio river...i have access to many farmed fields that are up against decent sized creeks that flow into the Ohio...i will be hunting them now that i am learning!

it is simply amazing to find and hold "a piece of rock" that was used hundreds or thousands of years ago by people...just amazing..

i have pics of pot shards and another piece of chert i found..the pot shards i cant take credit for...someone else found them...i just went to view them..THAT was awesome...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Big Ken,
Very nice collection!

Mauser,
My father-in-law walks fields a lot but also digs in the mountains for them. In the woods is where he finds his best stuff. My wife used to go along digging with him. She says he goes into the woods and just looks around and then says "there". I often wondered what exactly he looks for because he always finds stuff where he digs. I went with him once but it was a spot he had dug at before.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page