Finding property stakes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Finding property stakes

I'm am basically a rookie at actually using a metal detector for finding anything in the ground. I've used our White model??? for finding nails and flecks of metal in beams that we resaw for flooring but that's a different animal.

So anyways...my dads neighbor has once again buried another property stake. Last time when widening his driveway near a 90* turn. This time I'm not sure exactly what he was doing but he piled a bunch of brush and misc scrapings from the side of his lane on where my dad believes the stake was at. The guy is totally ignorant of where the property line is and was surprised my dad was upset with the last time he buried a pin....needless to say my dad is ticked and we are trying to find the pin and extend it before placing no trespassing signs the length of their adjoining properties.

Sorry for the ramble...I figured this would be the place to ask how deep will my detector pick up a pin? I was attempting to use it out there but only found a nail, an S hook and a piece of crumbled up wire from a fence. Its a real mess and I'm not sure how much dirt he laid down on top of the pin itself....any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finding property stakes

Trying to find a property corner with a white is sometimes difficult. It is not made for finding that kind of metal.
Not saying you won't find it, but its a lot harder with that type.

How do I know......I am a surveyor.

The wrong metal detector can make a surveyor's job frustrating because it could misidentify the polarity of ferrous (iron-bearing) metal and make it difficult to detect metal in things like gas or electric lines. Other types of metal objects might include metal ore deposits. A high-quality metal detector, however, assists you in detecting the right metals at the specified distance. Learn to select a high-quality metal detector, and make your surveying job easier

The metal detectors that surveyors use are made just for that....finding iron or steel, and they can find pins pretty deep...3'-4' or so.

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that was kinda what I was figuring....I know it does well picking up nails in up to 15" thick beams! but wasn't sure how deep it goes in dirt....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had a wicked nasty " Neighbor" once at a rental I owned. She ( yep SHE ) would pull the pins and discard them. The State police paid her a visit after another neighbor watched her do it, then called me. Criminial Mischief is the charge if you catch them. After they were replaced, ( at her expense, if I did not press charges ) I put 3 inch pvc pipe over the metal pins and filled with cement.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSlab
Yeah that was kinda what I was figuring....I know it does well picking up nails in up to 15" thick beams! but wasn't sure how deep it goes in dirt....
I've found stakes up to 12" deep with my 12yr old whites. You have to run on pinpoint or all metal mode to make sure it doesn't discriminate out the stakes.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

While they don't get along very well this guy isn't doing it on purpose. Hes just ignorant to the fact that the property lines are indeed marked by pins (he obviously doesn't know where they are )and does whatever he pleases around the line like dumping about 20-30 loads of fill in to build the corner of his driveway up directly over the first pin.
My dad knows where they are because when he (my dad) purchased the property he had the owner show him each and every one. I wish he would have raised them up at that time to avoid this conflict but now its a PITA to find the pins without hiring a surveyor with the proper equipment.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM
New Arrival

actually Joe, You should not have much Problems Finding the stake, unless the area is filled with trash.
the stake should not be that deep,
unless Fill was brought in. I doubt if it's 6" deep.
Probably closer to Flush to 1" deep .
try All Metal mode first, IF allot of trash,
Switch to Discrimination and try at Can tab range.

Or If you know where one of his other stakes are
Tune it to Pick it up.

Most stakes I have found were Brass which is easy to find,
and you may not even need the extra rage to can tabs

so Unless your Whites is an Antique from the 60's or 70's

a little patience should help you find it.

And unless it's a steel Steak you won't need all metal.
But if your finding Deep Nails, There should be no problem.

a detector will penetrate anything but Metal.
& Iron ore

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Update* we were able to locate the pin and extend the marker for easier identification.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:09 PM
New Arrival

cool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page