how difficult...?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

how difficult...??

This past weekend I took the family up to Cooks Forest for some camping. The entire time we were near the water , I kept looking for arrow heads, never found one but didn't really expect too either. Driving home, I figured the river isn't the best place to find one...??? I cant seem to get finding one out of my head!! The wife now has confirmation that I am nuts but I guess I want to know how difficult is it to find one? Where geographically in PA is good? Finding one in the woods doesn't seem very likely...? Are farm fields decent places? Seems like the disc would get new ones up every year. Any ideas or thoughts would be great!!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 11:48 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: how difficult...??

Always heard that a freshly plowed field right after a good rain is the best place to look. I've found two so far. Both without even looking for them! Found one walking across a field to go trout fishing and this year I found one while trout fishing right in the middle of the stream. Bordering fields of course. Seems like the natives traveled close to the streams and rivers.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 04:12 AM
Regular Visitor

my buddy found one at cooks forest on some trail before, not even searching for them, he looked down and saw it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM

The plowed field thing works....but you gotta search the RIGHT plowed fields...those fields likely weren't always fields...gotta think of travel routes/hunting grounds/campsites etc...

I know guys that have buckets full...I know a guy that can walk in the woods and find fire cracked rock and pot shards and flaking and heads just piled up...he knows what to look for and where to look...

I have a date to hike with my buddy here in Michigan to see if he can teach me a few things...

I am highly interested and never found anything...

Me and 2 buddies were sitting in a groundhog field one summer...one buddy said "ouch". Dang point jabbed him in the arm as he leaned back....we couldn't believe it...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for info!!!
So some big rock outcroppings and rock shelters would be a good place, right? Almost need to think as if you lived out there...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Part of the Community

Most of the finds I've made have been in plowed fields near a river or creek.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page