Anyone want to search old lancaster Farm/Mill? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Anyone want to search old lancaster Farm/Mill?

Well, my parents are going to be selling the old Lancaster county small farm where I grew up and I was wondering if someone with a good bit of metal detecting experience wants to take a look around before we sell.

The buildings were built sometime between 1744 (sold as empty farmland) and 1813 (sold as operating farm with Gristmill). The house and barn area is about 2-3 acres consisting of a stone farmhouse, Gristmill, bank barn and tobacco shed. The mill was in operation for about 100yrs and I have maps from the 1870s showing it. Just digging around planting fruit trees I have found wire rimmed glasses and an old belt buckle. Unfortunatly there is likely a ton of old nails and other worthless junk, but a few of the mills patrons must have lost a few coins over the years.

I mentioned the idea to my dad and he was fine with it. We would have to have some casual terms but we are primarily just curious to see what has been here all this time. Obviously the property would have to look as though you were never there.

If interested let me know and we can discuss a time.

We are merely stewards of all we have, both for our Creator and for our children.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 12:56 PM

Re: Anyone want to search old lancaster Farm/Mill?

That's a cool offer! I'll bet you'll get a couple takers. I suspect Lancaster Co is rich in artifacts considering its agricultural heritage and larger population around that time period.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 01:00 PM

Um, YES! I have two guys that I hunt with who would love to accompany me down to help you out. We are all about splitting if something of worth is found, as we always do

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

honestly 4C_game_chaser, it was your post on Etiquette that gave me the idea in the first place so you and anyone you trust and want to bring are welcome to come give it a look. I'll pm you my email address to aid in setting up a time. I live about 3 minutes from the place so it will not be hard to set up.

Public sale will likely be some time in october so sometime before the open houses would be good.

I hate to see the place sold but with taxes and land prices on 5 acres in Lancaster Co it just isn't feasible for my young growing family.

We would not be looking for even a 50/50 split (i have enough nails and bolts ) If you find a bunch of coins it would be cool to give my dad a few as a memento, but as I said, we are just wondering what has been laying under a few inches af dirt all these years. Now if you find a 1943 Copper or 1944 steel we may need to talk.

Steward

We are merely stewards of all we have, both for our Creator and for our children.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM

I am not into treasure hunting, but my hat is off to you for this very gracious offer to folks who are.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Regular Visitor

Hi Steward, I am an Archaeologist that works in the northeast, If you don't mind after you pick a date could you please let me know. I would like to record and photo the artifacts found, especially from the mill site. I am very interested in the nails, pieces of pottery, kaolin pipe stems, etc. that your family has found while living on the property. I will submit the list to the Pennsylvania museum commission and obtain a site #. I will give all my records to your family, the guys/gals who detect, and the new owners of the property, as well as to the state. One must remember that the most valuable treasure is the recorded story that the assemblage of artifacts tell.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

That's fine by me frogfish. I'm not sure if we've really kept any of the pottery pieces over the years but if their doing any digging I expect some will show up. I was just planting a cherry tree last summer by one of the barns and almost every shovel full had something that didn't belong. I think it was an old rusty forged hinge, a few nails some pottery fragments and the bone from a T bone steak.

Now that there are actually people coming I really hope something cool shows up. I know it has not been searched in the 23 years that we've owned it and we haven't done much earth moving.

As long as 4c game chaser has no objections I'll let you know the date.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

So I just googled "royer road mill" and up pops a picture of our place on this site www.millpictures.com under the name "Akron Mill". The writer lays out the whole ownership history and timeline and according to him the mill was built in 1762 ! Seems a shame to only figure this out now after more then 20 years but its cool to know. It just seems awesome that those stone foundations pre-date the founding of our country.

Steward

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page