Bar Amulet ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Bar Amulet ?

Don't know what a "Bar Amulet" is, but this guy found almost an entire piece 8 years ago, and THEN found the missing piece a few months ago. The folks on this board are going gaga over it, so I'm thinking it's a rarity. Not sure how stone can sho up on a MD, but I'm guessing it must have some metal compnent in the stone ?

Anyhow thought I'd share with y'all.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/no...ar-amulet.html

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Re: Bar Amulet ?

I've been following that thread as well. The "bar amulet" seems to be an item that has come up occasionally, but is rare enough to garner attention. That said, most articles about it claim they really don't know what they are or were used for! Interesting.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Regular Visitor

Fleroo, I don't believe the bar amulet was found with a metal detector. The guy/girl was probably using a metal detector in a field and saw it on the surface of the ground. Or they were surface hunting a plowed field. Being from Washington County you might see people walking in plowed fields near the Mon. and/or the many streams that lead into the rivers in the Ohio River Valley. While it is true that no one knows for sure what the bar amulet was used for theories do exist based on Archaeological Evidence. As of 1987 five bar amulets were found and recorded in Pennsylvania. One matches the picture you referenced. In Pennsylvania they seem to cluster around the West Branch of the Susquehanna River. That does not mean that more were not found in PA., just means that they were not recorded. They seem to show up more in the Central United States. As far as artifact function, current theory is related to the Atlatl or spear thrower. Three theories exist, 1. atlatl weight, 2. atlatl grip or handle, 3. religious (not related to atlatl). Evidence from a grave in ohio showed them in-situ with atlatl hooks. References used: PA. Archaeologist Vol. 42 #1-2, Ohio Archaeologist Vol. 9 #3, and Gary Fogelman Publications 1987. Prehistoric men and women continue to make me think and wonder.....

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

4c, I read that whole thread and had to laugh. I can see a conversation between those guys in the field sounding like this.

Bill: "Hey Bob you gotta come see what I found!!! It's once in a lifetime"!!

Bob: "Well, whatcha got there Bill...looks like a rock"

Bill: "It is Bob but you never ever ever see them like this"

Bob: "What are they used for"?

Bill "Dunno"?

Bob: "Who made them"?

Bill: "Dunno"

Bob: "So it's a long rock that nobody knows much about"?

Bill: "yep"

Bob: "Woohoo!! That's the find of the century Bill"!!!

I know there's a lot of sarcasm but there were at least 10 guys getting all pumped up about that thing who had absolutely no clue what the heck it was LOL.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:34 PM

I hear ya

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

I may have the find backwards. Appears he found a very small piece of the end first, then 8 yrs later, found the rest and longer piece..... not that it matters. Something how after all that time, the fit was perfect.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page