I'm going to be "that guy"(PICS ADDED) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm going to be "that guy"(PICS ADDED)

Ok, been looking at this forum for a while now. I'm going to be "that guy" who asks a lot of questions and help. I am also "that guy" who went to Harbor freight, and bought the cheap detector and pin pointer.(mentioned previously on a different post)

Well, went out for the first outing yesterday, and even without the latest technology for equipment, I have a very good feeling that if there is anything good there, I can find it in time. I have to apologize, as i'm on my wifes computer, and have no idea how the pics can get loaded, but here's the jist:

I have a area that is private(my deer hunting spot), it's only about 14 acres. I believe from old maps I have looked up, it has great potential for revolutionary war items. It is pretty close to a battlefield, and old maps show the Americans camped here before the battle, but may have at least passed through.

We set out and started around a small foundation, that the owner told me used to have a old water wheel in it. As soon as I turned on the detector, had a few hits. Dug and found a few nails and some old barbed wire pieces. Now at least I know I can find stuff!!! they were all about 3-4 inches deep. Not familiar enough with the machine to mess with the sensitivity and all, we decided to move away from that area, and go a little deeper into the woods.

We still found some nails and a little barbed wire, but we could now see approx. where the fence ran, and moved away from there as well.

We only covered a small area, but ended with 3 items we cannot identify. Two have severe corrosion, the other doesn't have too much corrosion, so I'm thinking it's not as old, but not sure, defiantly looks interesting. Also found a small buckle, looks modern, but a good bit of corrosion.

Sorry I cannot post pics today, but will do first thing tomorrow morning. I basically wanted to post today, to thank all the guys on here for posting pics, giving advise, etc. Even though I don't think I found anything too crazy, I only did a very small area, I have confidence that I can find the stuff, and thought it was really neat thing the wife and I can do together.

If someone wants to email me , I can send the pics that way. [email protected]

Anyway, thanks again to all for the advise, and getting me into this stuff. Keep the pics coming!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Re: I'm going to be "that guy"

I wish you luck and will give you any advice I can. I can also tell you the following

1. with ALL the latest and greatest equipment, one will never find it all, no matter how hard you try.

2. With all low end equipment, you will find any UNOBSTRUCTED object you swing over, that much i'm sure of, at least down to about 5inches.

3. With high end equipment, you would then find the items that were dead silent with low end equipment and you'd be sorry you didn't upgrade sooner (true story, mine!).

4. with low end equipment, if you do any real hardcore detecting, you will find yourself spending more on repairs/replacements than you will like (again, true story).

It isn't all about the detector or technique, but more about target depth, amount of iron and/or trash that may be lying on or close to a good target. I'll keep digging my 12inch deep silver and coins under iron and my old cheapie detector will continue to gather dust, only used if the good one goes out on me. Your spot, patience and swing speed, in the end, will dictate your success. If you are hitting virgin sites, you might get lucky. If you hit pounded out parks(truly pounded parks, not just those that people say are hit hard) you might be surprised at the lack of exciting finds.
Good luck and welcome to the sport

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:38 PM
The Man

Go to www.photobucket.com make an account. From there you will have the ability to put in a link to post all your pics.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

ok, here are a couple pics, the first one kindof intrigues me, the thing on the top teeters, like a see-saw. The others are going to my buddy, who has a ultrasonic cleaner at his work, hope to get enough of the corrosion off to at least be able to see what it is.

different view:

buckle??

??

??
The ring just above the quarter, looks to be somekind of copper bushing:

Another question I may have from you guys that have done this a while, what do you think about the amount of corrosion on some of the metal. This stuff was not in water or anything, everything was about4-6 inches deep, in some woods. Just a stab in the dark about how long this stuff may have been laying outdoors for this amount of corrosion?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM

I've found there is no rhyme or reason to corrosion or depth of objects.

Corrosion will be directly impacted by soil drainage, minerals in soil, soil makeup and pretty much anything else near it. I've found items from the 1950's with more rust than items from the 1850's of the same metal. Soil makeup plays a larger part than most people think or know.

Same with depth, i've found 1860's coins on TOP of the ground and clad pennies from the 1980's that were 6 inches deep. It is an interesting hobby that often leaves more questions than answers

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the info, i'm sure I will be upgrading the detector in short time, just wanted to try it out first, but the wife seemed to like it, and I have a pretty intersting place to start. Not sure if time will let me get into it like some on here, as it can really take some time. I was actually detecting for about 4 hours total, and covered a pretty small area of the property.

It is definatly intersting, relaxing, hobby for sure.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
The Man

The part that teeters looks like a telegraph plunger.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page