Silver is easy to see - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Silver is easy to see

after seeing Kish's post about his first silver, it made me realize there was a time when I didn't know what to expect when I'd pull my first silver. Every time I'd dig a dime or quarter, i'd clean it off and check the date to see if it was silver. Oh how little I knew........when I did find my first silver, it was obvious, no questions or date checks needed as silver doesn't stain like other coins do.
The pics are from a hunt 2yrs ago, when I first received my Minelab Etrac. I had been to this property numerous times, finding wheats and common clad. First time there with the Etrac, I was getting used to it when I had a slammin' hit. Turned out to be this beautiful Walking Liberty Half Dollar. Followed it up a few minutes later with the sterling ring, but you can see by the gold pan that the treasure doesn't come without digging a LOT of trash. You can also see how easy silver is to see compared to the rest of the items...........yes it came out of the ground just like that!

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
The Man

Re: Silver is easy to see

Yes silver has a distinct sound when dropped and color. Been collecting coins all my life, heck when a silver coin is dropped across the lunch room I can tell. Just last week a woman dropped one and tried it several times in the machines. Naturally the machines rejected it. She asked me to replace it, I gave her another quarter. 1956, I said to her you might want this back! Told her the date and that it was silver. She took it back.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

oh without a doubt it sounds different. a few weeks ago a secretary at work was counting coins and from about 25ft away I heard "that sound". Promptly walked over, handed her a quarter from my pocket and said I wanted the one she just dropped in the pile. 1952 silver quarter
I just walked away as she looked on in amazement. I've always been toned in to the sound since my days as a child, but never realized just how clean they stay compared to others underground until I pulled a few....hundred

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM
The Man

Few....HUNDRED! LOL!!! Yeah ever since my father took me to a coin show when I was young I am forever looking at my change!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeNRA
Few....HUNDRED! LOL!!! Yeah ever since my father took me to a coin show when I was young I am forever looking at my change!
My uncle has been the influence in my life and I am glad he took the time and kept on me, I just wish I would have given in sooner.
Took me a few months to find my first silver, a mercury dime. Ended that month with 19 more and have been finding a lot ever since. Seems like once it "clicks" look out, finding quality spots is the hardest part, but when you do, they rain silver.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
New Arrival

yes only silver coins I've seen tarnish dark Gray
has been Beach Silver, long time Mud Silver,
and Coins laying on Steel for long periods of time.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember the 1st silver quarter I found when I was a kid. My dad told me that they make a different sound when dropped compared to a non-silver quarter, sure enough that was the case. Ever since then I am constantly checking my change.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM
The Man

I was around ten years old when I found my first silver quarter. Back then you could walk the railroad tracks, I just happened to see something on its side and shiny. I ran home and couldn't wait till my father got home! I still remember exactly where that was found. Hmmmm now I have an idea!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page