metal detecting in state parks. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

metal detecting in state parks.

some use full info.

The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in quite a few state parks. However, metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use, nor is it permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes.

Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day, unless posted otherwise. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the Park Manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have potential for causing damage to the facility.

Many state park areas have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State park areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting.
Fees

There is no fee charged for metal detecting in PA State Parks.
Hours Permitted to Metal Detect

Metal detecting is permitted only from sunrise to sunset.
Digging Tools

Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. The only permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.
Finding Items

The finding of historical objects in any state park area should be handled by first contacting the park manager of the particular park. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts.

Individuals shall report items which are found and will be removed from the park.
Who To Contact

Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state park must receive prior approval from the specific park manager on-site at the park and report items which are found and will be removed from the park.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...etaldetecting/

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Re: metal detecting in state parks.

Remember, STATE parks, these rules don't apply for community, town, county or borough parks! Most of the rules for these are a lot more strict and many do indeed charge a fee.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

would you get this info. from the township building?

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 PM

yep, in most instances. I've obtained sole permission to a lot of the parks in my area by going to township building or straight to the town's mayor

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In my area, there are a few public parks that prohibit MDing, but most are good to go. I search the municipal websites for their Parks & Recreation ordinances. If detecting is not mentioned as being prohibited in the ordinances, then there is no reason to refrain from hunting that park.

As far as only allowing probes in State Parks - it sounds good on paper, but……

I’ve only hunted one State Park, but unless the target is just below the surface, it seems I do more damage using a probe, than if using a trowel. If I dig a 3-sided plug with my trowel, use a ground cloth for loose dirt to be returned to the hole, and then flip that plug back it place, no one will ever know I was there. With the probe, many times I was not quite happy when I walked away. Or, maybe I just haven’t had enough practice with a probe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page