stream hunting ?'s - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

stream hunting ?'s

I have hunted arrowheads and Native American relics for 10 years and have found many points, pottery pieces, etc. Most of my finds have been in plowed fields and such.
I live in SW Pa. and was curious if anyone here hunts along streams, rivers, or creeks. I have tried in the past with no luck in areas I know have artifacts. Any poinetrs or hints on what to look for and where to look?

Wandering in the Woods with Stick and String
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: stream hunting ?'s

I am an extreme novice, just started last year. Several of the best artifact pickers I have met say the same things. Find a spot where two streams come together. Search the first or second "hump" of higher ground near the confluence of the streams. These spots are literally where they camped for thousands of years. The streams were the major pathways. I have had a little luck already last fall once I started looking in the right spots.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: stream hunting ?'s

A fella here at work finds quite a bit along the Ohio river. I have found points on top of high banks along the Ohio. Mostly crude points made out of a dull white chert. I have not searched stream beds too much but I would think that eventually points would get washed into the streams as they eroded the bank. I find it hard to see the points mixed in with the rest of the stones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page