Net weights?(no pic) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Net weights?(no pic)

Within the last 5 years or so I have done quite a bit of scavenging for native american stuff. Living in Mercer County it seems awfully difficult to locate such things on a whim and fishing constantly I more times than not come home with a stiff neck trying to do so. Anyhow, I made a sifting box and my 5 yr old son is a full fledged crick stomper, so when we're out I spend a lot of time sifting through gravel bars and such. Besides finding many fossilized teeth and other unkown items, ive brought home several, from different locations, nickel sized, button shaped pieces with a center hole in them. At first I thought that this may be just an anomaly since in the locations I havent found anything but the occasional, possible, flint knappings. Since Ive located more than a few I feel that its probably something handmade. Just curious what anyone experienced thinks based off of the description. When I get a chance Im going to post pics of numerous suspect things that Ive found from PA and during military travels from here to California. A side note on the sifting box. I spent a couple hours sifting underneath a glacial boulder outcroping about a month ago and found...im gonna say close to 2 ft under the material..a perfectly round fire pit with burn markings on the centers of the stones. Of course there was no reason to disturb it so I covered it up, but thought it was pretty cool. Kudos to whoever put this categlory on HPA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM

Re: Net weights?(no pic)

sounds like a net weight to me

can't wait to see the pics!

Thanks, we had many requests for it and it is a passion of mine so we talked with ownership and decided to give it a go. I'm hoping in April when things warm up, we will see a lot more action down here.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Regular Visitor

Will have to see the pics to be sure. Nickel size seems small. When you mention the debitage (waste flakes from manufacture) that is a prehistoric site indicator. Where you find that you will find other material. Gravel bars are great places to look since the artifacts are out of archaeological context. However, when you dig on land you are destroying the archaeological site. Unless the information is being measured and recorded. Thanks, for covering up the hearth you described. A C-14 date could be obtained from that feature. Not many people realize that excavation means destruction of the integrity of the archaeological site. I have spent over 25 years working through out the Northeast as a contract archaeologist. I would be happy to answer any of your questions. Also there are many Society for Pennsylvania Archaeology Chapters that like to have volunteers. Happy hunting, but remember to record what you find.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-19-2012, 08:39 PM
The Man

Net weights are often larger hour glass shaped stones and are so numerous in some places that I quit picking them up years ago..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page