No place is ever hunted out... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

No place is ever hunted out...

This for some of the folks just getting into MD'ing.You'll hear folks saying that some of the spots they hunt are hunted out and nothing remains in the ground.Well this is not true by any standard.I have sometimes said this myself after putting in many hours at certain locations and not finding to much.Here's a few tips that may help you out: 1 After you hunt say North to South change your direction to East and West 2 Slow your swing way down,by doing this your sure not to miss any targets remember coins and other goodies are all not laying flat in the ground. 3 Lower your Discrimination and dig every and all solid repeatable signals and in some cases even the iffy ones.4 Double blips could mean a ring and that double blip your hearing may be that your catching both sides of it. 5 Change up your settings,yes i know sometimes this means your gonna dig more trash but gold comes in even down to the pull tab range. 6 Check places that others may avoid,say like in a park area about 3 or 4 feet out from the mowed areas in the weeds.7 Check around older trees,the ones with the roots exposed at the surface,these trees have been here for quite sometime and may provide some good finds.So just remember when you hear someone say "This area is hunted out" think back to what i said and you'll be finding the things they thought weren't there.Happy hunting.Rich

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Re: No place is ever hunted out...

Richbat, I couldnt agree with you more about no place being hunted out.
When I started detecting in the early '90s a friend suggested that I join the metal Detecting club that he belonged to. It turned out to be a pretty good idea. There were monthly meetings, club picnics, and club hunts. We had about seventy five members, so our meetings were held in the conference room at the village library.
Being new to the hobby I asked a ton of questions and learned a lot, and just like all new members did, I asked "What about the little park across the street, can I hunt there?" I was told that being that it was public ground I could hunt it legally, but also that it wasnt worth bothering with because just about every club member had cut his teeth hunting there.
I dont discourage very easily, and that little park was only three blocks from my home. Being an early riser, and not having to open my store until 10am made it pretty easy for me to get in some detecting just about every morning.
I'd get there at first light, set up my gear, and after determining where I'd left off the day before I'd make my first pass. When I got to the far side I'd look back at my trail where I'd disturbed the morning dew, move a couple of feet to one side, and then head back in the other direction.
I wear a carpenter's apron when I detect, one of the cheap ones that the lumberyards give away with their name stamped on it. It has three pockets, and being that I dug everything the first pocket was always loaded with pull tabs, gum wrappers, and other assorted junk. The middle pocket was for artifacts, and the third pocket was for valuables.
By the end of that summer I'd hunted that village park in a grid pattern, first crosswise and then lengthwise.
The Colonial Militia camped in that little park the night before they went on to be massacreed in the Battle of Oriskany. One soldied left behind a button from his uniform. Another dropped a musketball.
Kids played in that park. One dropped a pocketknife with ivory sideplates. Another dropped a pocketknife so old it had wooden sideplates.
Rings, pins, earrings, and necklaces, they were all there. One of my favorite finds is a hollow locket made of woven strands of copper. My jeweler told me that at around the year 1900 copper was considered high class.
I also found a number of silver coins, but I prefer the indian head pennies and some of the handful I found are in really nice condition.
That little village park is shaped like a narrow triangle. A block long, a half a block wide at the base, and coming to a point at the far end. Not very big at all.
A metal detector is a transceiver, and like all transceivers it can be affected by atmospheric conditions. It can also be affected by soil conditions such as mineral content and moisture levels. There are days when conditions seem to come together to help the enthusiast use his detector to 'see' things that everyone else has missed, but there are also days when conditions come together to affect a detector negatively and than can mean that there are things that have been missed by others.

MAGA 2020
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

You say atmospheric conditions,don't really follow what you quite mean.Now there are some days i'm finding quarters hand over foot and other days i'm nailing dimes like crazy.For instances today started hitting clad quarters like crazy and as the day went on then nothing but dimes,didn't do a darn thing to my discrimination and hunted at my normal swing speed.

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbat
You say atmospheric conditions,don't really follow what you quite mean.Now there are some days i'm finding quarters hand over foot and other days i'm nailing dimes like crazy.For instances today started hitting clad quarters like crazy and as the day went on then nothing but dimes,didn't do a darn thing to my discrimination and hunted at my normal swing speed.
As I said earlier, a detector is a transceiver, a form of radio that transmits and receives a signal. What makes it an actual tool that is useful to guys like us is the built-in processor that interprets the differences in the returning signal.
We know our atmosphere is affected by certain natural and man made sources of radio waves. Radios themselves are affected by these phenomenon. A classic example would be that thing we did as kids where we would sit by the window long after our parents thought we were asleep and we'd be listening to WWVA. We couldnt hear that station during the daytime, the sun created so much interference that it covered up the signal, but once the sun went around to the other side of the planet we'd hear Wheeling, and Fort Wanye, and sometimes stations that were even farther away. Atmospheric conditions had changed.
Ham radio is another thing that is affected. For years those guys are glad to be talking across town, and then the sunspot cycle kicks in and they're talking every evening to friends in Australia.
On a more personal level, our detectors can also be affected by interference from other sources of radio waves. Ever get too close to another guy with a detector? Dont do it. Both machines will catch each others signal and scream their heads off.
Okay, so we know that radio can be affected either positively or negatively by outside influences. They charge the atmosphere and when we broadcast and receive those influences may be a help or a hindrance. In regards to our hobby, those outside influences may have the effect of causing our machines to become practically useless, or they might create a condition where our machine might actually penetrate far deeper into the ground than we are used to seeing.

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

rich battistoni
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM

One of my dad's friends had good MDing at car washes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Every time he swung over the change machine ?

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page