point collection - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

point collection

my point collection.

starting on the bottom row left hand side. the 2 black points were found in lawrence county. they were close by each other in corn fields. the larger light color one was found in the yard digging in the garden. i know of another one just like it found a few houses down the road. the thinner one bottom right was found along the lake erie shoreline. it has rounded edges caused by the wave action.the tool on the upper right appears to be a scaper/knife. it was also found in one of the lawrence county fields. upper middle was found in mercer county along the shenango river basin. i thought it to be just the tip of a broken point, but it is knapped along the bottom making me think that it is complete.upper right is just a flake that i found with the smaller point.

while holding the scaper/knife, i notice that it fits my hand very well exposing the knapped edge.holding it like this kind of lets me connect with the person that made and used it.

i also wonder about the 2 black ones. likely that the same person made both points. one is used/broken the other is whole. was the broken one used in an attempt to harvest a dangerous animal and the other not used because someone tried to harvest a dangerous animal?

i almost forgot, any info or knowledge about the points would be welcome.

pat r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:13 AM

Re: point collection

Nice collection you have there,me and my son look for them also.We found a few and just about maybe a month ago we were metal detecting a local park and he got a good signal which turned out to be a penny,but when he was putting the plug back in he felt something poke his hand and low and behold it was an arrowhead,kinda a bonus for him that day.Rich

rich battistoni
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Very nice! That is something I'd like to find one day but so far had eluded me. I'm sure I've walked right by a few on the family farm.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I found a strange "tool" and took it Anthropology prof. I know. She said it was a weight for a line or net. She also told me most points we find are discards and mistakes, not point that were on the arrow. Theres no doubt on that scraper, very cool !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

nice ..back at my dads house we have thousands of them...no plenty of good spots in southwest pa....even north in warren found some celts etc

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Nice collection!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Sage

Never really found much. I found this stone tool along Indian Creek near Macungie; the area was supposed to have a large encampment of Lenape at one time. The coin and broken arrowhead were found in a old field above my parents farm that was surrounded by woods. I was up there doing some early scouting for archery season. I was looking at a track when I noticed this piece of arrowheaed sticking up, naturally I was excited. So I get down on my hands and knees and start digging around hopefully to find the rest of the point. I had about a 4' radius when I scratched up this old corroded coin, it was an old 1902 V nickel. I thought how strange to find this coin and a piece of an arrowhead together in the middle of nowhere. Had an Indian actually shot a white man and broke off somehow when he fell, and the nickel falling out of his pants as he hit the ground? Who knows!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks for all of the comments. really fun to read the stories about other finds. i'll be wondering about how the coin and the point got together. joethelogger's info on the points we find being being rejects and discards explains why i find flakes in the same area as the points. i also wonder how many times i piched up some type of tool, didn't know what it was and dropped it.

pat r.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That would be a great story, in 1802! LOL!

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page