Some rules of Etiquette - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Some rules of Etiquette

One major issue facing the metal detecting community is banning of metal detector use on our public beaches and in some states ALL state owned land. Add in the negative looks you get from people who really don't understand the sport and we have a recipe for disaster.

I have compiled a list of MUST DO's if you are going to get into detecting. If you think hunters are ugly when you infringe on their territories and mess things up due to negligence, wait til you tick off a treasure hunter

1. DO get permission FIRST, there is no such thing as public land to detect on....if you don't have verbal or written permission STAY OUT. We work hard to get permission to all parks, schools, churches etc.. in our area. If you come in and ruin that, it won't be pretty

2. DO practice your plug digging in your OWN yard for weeks before you ever think of going out and digging on someone else' property. Nothing will get you booted quicker than turning someone's lawn into a mine field. Until you can dig a plug, replace it and within 2 days not be able to even find that same plug.....you need to keep practicing. When initially replacing plugs, fluff the grass on top of them to stand it back up. Remember, grass is a living thing so in drought times, DO NOT DIG.

3. DO make sure you dig below the roots of the grass to ensure you don't damage them, even if your target is only 1 inch deep. The deeper the initial plug, the better chance of no one ever being able to tell you dug that hole.

4. DO wear headphones when in public....not only to ward off the curious, but more so to not annoy those that find no relaxation or satisfaction in hearing BEEP BEEP BEEP!

5. DO set the ground rules right from the start when dealing with someone's private property. Some landowners EXPECT you to give them ALL the items you find....better to know this right away and not waste your time, rather than fill someone else' pockets for them. I always offer 50% of what I find......if they accept, I get to work. If they want more, I thank them for their time and leave.....let them buy their own equipment. 99% of the time, they don't want any of it anyway, but things with inscriptions, family ties ALWAYS go back to the homeowner, no exceptions.

6. DO realize that once you have a detector and people find out, they will call you to help when they lose an item. This is the most rewarding part of detecting.....helping someone find something they know they lost. Their look when you find it is worth more than any money will ever be.

7. DO use the smallest shovel you can possibly use. Walking into a yard/park with a trench shovel or spade shovel will surely get you booted and is beyond overkill.

8. DO have fun. Expect to find nothing, that way every target is a small gift in itself

Feel free to add as I know there are a lot more that could be listed. In the coming months, I am going to go back in time and let all of you relive some of my better finds and also post some videos/pics of technique, equipment etc...

Thanks for reading

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 PM

Re: Some rules of Etiquette

I think you pretty much covered everything anyone needs to know.Glad you posted this for all newcomers to know,just 1 bad apple will turn the tides against us.Rich

rich battistoni
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 05:42 PM
The Man

I have seen a video of this being done with a Leache and Garrett digger. Was amazed how the plug went back in and you could hardly tell anything was moved. Very good info!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM

One other TIP that may work as well for you as it has me , when you find the lost item for a person and they insist on paying a reward , ask them if they could think of a family or friends property that may be old and undetected . I've recieved access to some very ( rewarding LOL ) previously unknown properties this way .....
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM

Don't get frustrated if your not finding anything good. Do show people who approach and are interested in what your doing how the machine operates if asked.Do be respectful of other activities that may be going on in the area.Do pick up trash when you can,remember when someone see's you doing this it looks good for us.

rich battistoni
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Regular Visitor

Very well said.
I can not stress enough learn how to dig. I have been beach hunting for years and never had a issue but I alway follow one rule on a beach. When the life guards come on duty it is time to quit.

If you don't have time to do it right. When do you have time to do it again?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page