Selecting the right MD for you. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Selecting the right MD for you.

Well i'm gonna try and explain this the best i can about choosing the right MD for you. Now as many are aware there are vast variety of metal detectors available,but choosing the right one for a new person to this hobby can be quite overwhelming from all the many options available.Now i have been detecting on and off for probably 10 years or better and have had some pretty expensive machines in the time,but let me say 1 thing,They all do the same thing and that's detect metal objects.Your gonna go through the grass is greener on the otherside thing as we all did at 1 point in time,but if you give your new machine the time and learn what it's telling you you'll do just as good with it as the other guy swinging the $1000 machine.I have had Minelabs,Whites,Teknetics and so on,but know what i use now? A Tesoro Compadre $169 machine and to be honest i enjoy this machine more then the others i have had,just plain and simple and it get's the job done,1 knob and that's it,couldn't get any simpler,but do your homework,ask questions the more the better and don't think you need a Cadilac when maybe a Volkswagon will do what you need.Rich

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Selecting the right MD for you.

I agree.
A metal detector is similar to any other tool, gun, or fishing rod in that success is in how well YOU can use it.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 01:43 AM
Sage

Is Garrett a reputable brand?

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 10:03 AM

Garrett makes some pretty nice machines for the price. If they are within your budget, I would look at the ace350 on the low end or the AT Pro on the high end.

I've used White's, Garrett and Minelab. My Minelab has a TTF feature which allows me to see any metal in highly mineralized soil, often times grabbing targets that my hunting partners have walked right over.
However, don't ever let anyone tell you that ONE detector is the best. My group uses Garrett, White's, Minelab and we ALL have found items in the exact areas the rest were detecting. Sometimes it is features of the detector, often times it is features/habits of the detectorist

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

I hope no one took my post the wrong way.If you can afford a higher end machine then by all means go for it,but just remember with those higher end machines comes a learning period with all the extra features and some get so disgusted trying to learn the machine and end up putting them up for sale or stick them in the closet to collect dust.As far as Garrett goes if i were going to buy one i'd go for the AT Pro,had the Ace 250 once and just hated the tones it gave off,sounded like the sound when you leave a car door open.Rich

rich battistoni
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM

car door chime, yes that is about it I knew when my friend was using his, it sounded like something familiar.

no offense taken I'm sure, this forum is about opinions and all are free to them

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Garrett AT Pro (love it) and I recently upgraded my girlfriend to an Ace 350. We both have Garrett Propointers, as well.

Reading MD forums, it appears Garrett’s customer service is outstanding and they constantly go well beyond any type of stated warranty. Luckily, I have yet to put their customer service to test.

Disclaimer – I don’t work for Garrett.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:04 PM

Longie, I had an issue with my first propointer. They sent me a new one and had me ship the old one back, so i wouldn't be without it during repair. Yes, their customer service is awesome

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM

I'm glad this thread got started. I have been wanting to get a metal detector for quite some time now, but don't know a darn thing about them.If someone had for example say a $300 budget to get started, what would you guys recommend? Also what the heck is a pinpointer? And what kind of shovel or digger tool would be a good choice? Please excuse my ignorance of this stuff, just trying to learn some before I spend my money. Thanks for the help, and I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

Callin all trucks this here's the Duck, we about to go hunting bear!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 05:19 PM

PinPointer is a handheld device that senses a target out to about 2 inches. It allows you to dig your plug and then "locate" the side/area of plug where your target lies. This in most cases decreases target recovery time because you don't have to sift through soil looking for the target. It also allows you to dig small, neat plugs instead of just digging a huge poke and hope hole. They are worth their weight in gold.
Shovel/digger- you can go name brand and lookup the Lesche digger, go to home depot and buy the temper tools shovel or any other small garden sized shovel will do. The stronger/straighter the blade, the better. I use a "dagger" shovel with a 10inch blade, but is only 2 inches wide. allows me to dig small, neat plugs.

as for the $300 range, if you buy the pinpointer and shovel, you are already half cut into that budget.
If you are looking to spend the whole $300 on a detector, you have a LOT of choices. I'd stick with the Whites/Garret/Tesoro/Minelab brands personally.
I know a lot of guys that like the cheap bounty hunters from Cabelas, but I know a LOT LOT more that absolutely despise them.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page