Indian Artifacts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Indian Artifacts

Just got into Native American artifact hunting. I have a few questions after my brief first outing.

I believe the 3 inch tool is some sort of tool for working skins/leather? It has a very defined edge, but isn't sharp. I figured it would be for creasing rawhide. Very smooth. It definitely feels worked. Does anyone know what this might be?

The triangular thing, is that a point, or is it just a rock? I almost pitched it thinking it was just a rock, but there appear to be deliberate fluting/serrations on the leading edges. Also, the one side appears to have a notch. It looks pretty crude compared to points I have seen online. Could it be a work in progress that broke and was given up on? Or is it just a rock?

The two flat rocks with shallow depressions. Tools, grinding/milling mortar? Just circumstantial rocks?

Any input would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4492.jpg (615.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4493.jpg (637.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4496.jpg (853.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4499.jpg (680.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4500.jpg (596.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4501.jpg (909.6 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage

They look like plain old river or stream rocks to me. I am not an expert but I have found arrow points and some hide scrapping tools and none of the stones pictured appear to be a tool, they just have a shape that may look similar.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!

Last edited by Woods walker; 04-02-2019 at 02:45 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Who knows maybe an Indian used one of those, but they don't really look like tools to me, like Woods Walker said.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:12 PM
Part of the Community

look like Leaverite to me, Leave right where ya found it. None of the stones you are showing have been worked with percussion or pressure flaking. Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the information! I guess the adventure turned into a geological survey instead. Stay tuned in the next few weeks I am determined to find some good stuff! Thanks again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 AM

I'm far from a pro....that's definitely a worked piece. You can see edge e has been worked. Guessing it was a scraper of sorts.

Stones can be hard to identify as tools.

I'd focus on Flint...when you're finding Flint, look at rocks and see what sticks out as possibly being a tool.

I worked/lived on the lake Michigan shoreline a few years. Artifacts could be easier to find as the sand was always moving...

Pot shards we're just oozing out of that sand dune. It was awesome. You could see the detail of the cordage in the pieces.

I spent countless hours walking fields I thought would be good once I got back home...that's the best I could come up with lol. My guess is it was a point that broke. Definitely worked and you can see the shape of a point. It was like the outside of the point came off after an impact.

I've moved from that area and there's a field I'd really like to go hunt...Everytime I walk through hunting I see Flint pieces scattered all over.

It's addicting....wish I was better...or had better ground...or more time...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in