Which Detector - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Which Detector

Hello Guys. My mother just mentioned to me that she would like to buy my Dad a detector to putz around with at the beach and around home. I told her I would inquire here to see what was recommended. I'm guessing she would like to keep it under a $1000.00 but just in case please mention some decent starter units, if any, that she could get for $500.00 or less. Maybe there isn't anything worth it in that price range. I have no knowledge of these machines. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I am new to detecting this year. I started with a decent bounty hunter discovery 3300 that was given to me. It's a good machine and can be bought for around $250 new. A few weeks ago I bought a Garrett Ace 350 and its great. The display makes it super easy-to-use and Amazon has a set with a shovel, coil protector and bag for $355. From what I've read, the other Ace models are pretty good as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the Whites. I bought one in 1970 and paid it off with the finds in less that 3 months. I still have it. I bought a Whites MXT in 2014 that works great. Whites Mid-Atlantic shop is in Harrisburg. That's where I got to see all the models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 10:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Even though i have the new Minelab Equinox 800. I regret selling my Garrett AT PRO.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

There is so much to learn about metal detecting but to keep it short.
If you can have him try some different brands out as some are better balanced than others, swinging an unbalanced machine can wear your arm out pretty quick.
I would skip the starter machines as they are very limited, start at the intermediate range with ground balance, DD coil, fast recovery.
I would also suggest getting him a hand held pinpointer they run around $80-$100+ for a good one like garrett, Teknetics, Makro, Whites, Minelab.
Also a set of headphones they run about $30-$100+ and a good shovel or digging tool.

There's also waterproof machines available if he would do any water detecting.

Stick with a name brand machine like Garrett, Teknetics, Fisher, Tesoro, Makro, Minelab, Whites.
There are even fake chinese knockoff products out there like the garrett carrot pin pointer and Teknetics T2 to look out for as well.

Some deals going on like the Teknetics T2+ bundle with pinpointer is a great deal for $549 free shipping with a 7 year warranty.
Also the new Minelab 800 & 600 are the newest hot machines out now.

If you have any questions just ask.

Last edited by pymi; 07-22-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:04 AM

Those recommendations are all great . My vote goes to Whites & Garrett .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page